How to add linked issues to bulk change

Anna Konieczna April 28, 2022

Hi all,

I would like to ask if it's possible to add field "linked issues" to bulk change? 

Regards,

Anna

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Hi @Anna Konieczna ,

I do not understand your question. What is "massive bulk" ?

Hi @Jack Brickey , sorry my mistake: I mean bulk change: 

bulk change.PNG

When I'm doing a bulk change, I would like to choose field "linked issues" but I can't see it.

Below you can see one piece of screen (but even down the page there is not available  field "linked issues" 

bulk change 2.PNG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Thanks that was my guess. Unfortunately you cannot edit linked issues in bulk using Bulk change. I have read where others have used CSV import to accomplish this. There may be an addon that would help. Actually I just looked and found this - bulk-linker-server 

@Jack Brickey I've installed Bulk Linker as you mentioned and now it's working! Thank you very much!

Regards,

Anna

Ioannis D May 23, 2022

Hello @Anna Konieczna

You don't need an extra plugin for this. JIRA (from v8.13 onwards IIRC) is clever enough to understand what you are trying to do.

e.g. if you need to link 27 tickets to another (say as Resolved By).
You only need to compile the keys of all 27 JIRA tickets that you try to link, delimited by space.

Once you just click or move the focus out of the target text box, JIRA will render and prepare the links, as you can see below.

batch_link1.png

batch_link2.png 
But you might have a more complicated use-case.

I hope that helps.

Best,
-ioannis

Like # people like this
Anna Konieczna May 23, 2022

Hi @Ioannis D seems to be good solution! Thank you for your explanation.

Rabbit Stoddard November 2, 2022

So this used to work, but now it looks like when I copy/paste a list of such values, it now either clears, or tries to interpret the whole thing and one value, even with the spaces. Any ideas what happened to break this incredibly useful functionality?

Anjana Ananth February 6, 2023

Thank you so much @Ioannis D

This worked perfectly fine for me just now for bulk editing 84 items. 

Tony Sims March 29, 2023

What are you doing that we are not? I'm getting the same result as Rabbit.

Daniel H. Kerr April 7, 2023

I experience the same as Tony Sims and Rabbit.  Tried explicitly typing whitespaces to delimit, tried generating them, tried different editors on 2 different OSs.

Ioannis D April 12, 2023

Dear @Rabbit Stoddard @Tony Sims and @Daniel H. Kerr

You are right, sometimes it is not happening.
You need to follow these exact steps:

1. Open the link window
  2. Copy/Paste the white-spaced list of your tickets that you want to link at the Issue text-box (e.g. "TICKET-12 TICKET-23 TICKET-34 TICKET-45", without the quotes)
  3. Then click outside of the Issue text-box, e.g. at the Comment section.
    JIRA will automatically split the string and populate your tickets as if you have typed them individually.
    If you press [Tab] instead of clicking, this auto-completion is not happening.

I hope that helps,
-ioannis

Like # people like this
Daniel H. Kerr April 12, 2023

Thank you ioannis! I will try that and update.

Rabbit Stoddard April 12, 2023

Yep, that helped. Thanks @Ioannis D

Daniel H. Kerr April 12, 2023

Brilliant! That did the trick @Ioannis Drositis . Thank you!

Rich Pixley June 7, 2023

Entering multiple keys doesn't seem to be working for me.  When I move focus it just takes one of the keys.

Looks like it's providing a drop down selector and there's no way to select multiples.

Tony Sims June 12, 2023

This still doesn't work for me. Its things like this that make Jira only slightly better than using excel or a home made database. If I knew how many read blocks Jira created, I would have just written my own RDMS.

Buyer beware!!!

0 votes
Bijal Patel June 14, 2023

I am having hard time figuring out how to Open the link window? Please advice, thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2023

I am not sure what you mean by link window. However, the presentation for linked issues has changed since this post. Today If you open an issue you will see this...

IMG_2025.jpeg

Bijal Patel June 15, 2023

@Jack Brickey Perfect, thank you. I was able to change attached links to multiple tickets.

0 votes
Charles Wernlund June 1, 2023

For what it's worth, you can also copy/paste with carriage returns seperating the issues.

I did an issue search, than exported as a CSV, copied the exam keys I wanted to link, and pasted that column into the link field, clicked outside the field box so JIRA formatted it, and violla, we have our bulk links.

0 votes
Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 3, 2023

We created the free plugin for bulk link action to resolve the problem with bulk linking - Issue Link Manager.

I hope for your feedback after trying it. 

Best regards, 
Jarek

Suggest an answer