Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to add an automation upon an event in the Project?

Hi, 

we have unified Sprints across the organization. 

In the old system, we would create a Sprint in the top level project and let the tool cascade the creation on all the projects in the hierarchy. 

As there are no Project hierarchies in Jira and no Project groupings of any way, I wonder if there is a way to automate the Sprint creation for all the projects in the org upon creation in one of the projects.

So far I do not see the way to trigger Sprint creation in other projects.

What is the way to do this?

Thank you,

Inna

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Jira doesn't have sub-projects, but that's not an issue for this.

Sprints do not belong to projects, so the whole idea of "create sprint for many projects" is flawed.

A sprint is an object created from a board.  A board is a view of a selection of issues.  which can be set to include whatever you want.

So when you create a sprint, it can draw in whatever you want, by virtue of being part of the board.

This means there's no need to create sprint creation in other projects.  Create a board that includes all the projects that are going to use it and create the sprint.  It'll cover all the projects.

I'm going to have separate projects for separate product development groups. So they will have their own boards driven by the project=X filter.

How do I get this single sprint on all the boards then?

A board that draws in many projects will create a sprint that appears for all those project based boards.

The problem with is is that your teams won't be able to close their parts of it individually, so I suspect you really want to have a separate set of sprints, one for each team.  Sprints are supposed to be created and managed by the team, so if you do want separate sprints by team, let them manage them.

Today they have their own 'iterations', that go all by the same name (one every 2 weeks) across the board.

Ok, it's good to have sprints aligned in the same cadence, but Jira expects teams to be self-managing and create their own sprints on their own terms.

There's automation for "when sprint created", but no "create another sprint" automation.

I'm afraid if you want to automate it, you will need to write or find an app, or create an external script that can create from the outside.

Like Inna S likes this

Thank you, @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ for clarifying this.

Like Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events