How to add all project roles to a permission

Guillaume Soucis March 19, 2018

I would like to base the permission scheme of a particular project on project roles only. basically, anyone who doesn't have a role in that project shouldn't be able to perform any action at all, including browsing and viewing.

We have 4 project roles: Admin, Add-on, Project lead and Dev, from the least to most restrictive. Naturally, some permissions are granted to admins only, but many are granted to all. For the latter, since there is no implied hierarchy, I must manually grant permission to all 4 roles individually. However, this is pretty cumbersome, because there is no way to select more than one project role at a time when granting permission : they are in a drop down menu, so the windows must be closed and reopened for every add. I cannot used the "Application access" option either because that would grant access to any user in our JIRA instance, whether they are involved in this project or not.

What's the best way to go about this?

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2018

I guess, if you could add one user to four roles then you would have less hassle to give permissions. For example, in the Dev role you would include all users, in the Project lead, the ones from the Project lead, Add-on and Admin roles (those users are also included in the Dev role). In the Add-on role you would include users, who must be in the Add-on and Admin roles and so on. It would make it easier to grant permissions.

but I think you are on the right trail. You should do it how you began to do it.

Guillaume Soucis March 19, 2018

That is a nice solution, but which eventually could be problematic if the case comes where you want to exclude a particular group altogether from a permission but not the group below (I have no idea of how this can happen but I'd rather not risk it).

So I did them all one-by one. I just wish the project roles were checkboxes instead of drop-down menus so you didn't have to add them one at a time for every permission.

XDarren Jones July 25, 2018

I agree, this is a slightly weird oversight, especially if you have more than a couple of project roles set up. For stuff like (eg) the "Browse Project" permission, you surely just want to be able to grant that to "Project Role: Any Role", in the same way that there is already a "Group: Anyone" option.

Just having an "Any project role" option would be fine for me, I think.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer