Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to add a thumbnail of an attached image to a comment

Recently switched to the "new" JIRA experience in settings.  In the "old" experience, you could attach an image file to a JIRA item and then in a comment there was a drop-down from which you could choose that attached image from a list and it would add a thumbnail entry to the comment text.  The comment would then contain a clickable thumbnail to the attached image.

I can't seem to find where to do this in the new experience.  Anyone know?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @Dave Calkins,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

On the new issue view, when uploading a file or image, it will show all types of attachments that you previously uploaded to other Jira tickets or even on Confluence pages of any Atlassian Cloud site. 

On the old editor (Wiki Markup), it was possible to view files that were previously attached to the very same ticket only, but on the new editor (Markdown) it will show files from all tickets.

This is a known issue and you can find more details on the link below:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the ticket.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Thanks!  I've voted on that issue.

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Hello @Dave Calkins 

When you edit a comment in the new experience, a toolbar will appear at the top of the text area. Click the Files & Images button. The image will be attached to the issue, then be placed in the comment text at the point where you inserted it:Annotation 2021-03-29 181651.png

Thanks for the reply!  This does not address what I'm referring to though.  In my case, I've already attached the image and I simply want to add a thumbnail to the already attached image in a comment.  Using the method you described triggers the file open dialog to upload a new image which isn't what I'm looking for.

Like # people like this

Hello, i have the same problem as Dave. Ist there any solution right now ?

The only solution ist to switch to the old view.

Like Cintia Kanowitz likes this

Ah thanks for asking here Dave, I'm running into the exact same problem. Issue is that I have teammates adding in images in comments that I'd like to update in the general description, but can't do so with the current view.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All! We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across their  Jira Cloud instance.  ...

640 views 16 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you