How to add a team to project

Edimaobong Matthew April 19, 2020

I created a team on the People page.

Is there a way I can assign this team to a project?

I would want all the people invited to Jira to have access only to the projects they are attached to, hence the concept of creating a team.

How can I do this?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2020

Hello Edimaobong,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The Teams in Jira/Confluence is a place where people can see what other team members are working on. 

Teams are indeed a group of people, but currently, this type of group can't be added to a project. 

To add a group of people in a project it's necessary to create it directly on User management (Administration > Groups).

For more details about Teams, please check the documentation below:

Regards,
Angélica

Noel da Costa January 28, 2021

Seems that Teams are useless then. How annoying.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2021

@Edimaobong Matthew and others. Since you've expressed interest in Teams functionality:

We have an upcoming release of a brand new Teams field in Jira and we'd like to invite you to join a limited Early Access Program!

With this field enabled, users will be able to
- Create and manage teams
- Associate Jira issues with Teams
- Search (JQL), filter, and create reports for issues by Team
- View the issues associated with a team on the team profile (across Jira, Confluence and more) We are launching this as part of a larger mission to enable our products to be more effective for teamwork. This field uses the Atlassian Teams concept (the one that is accessible through the People menu on the top nav on Jira and Confluence cloud editions). We are also working on unifying the different team concepts you see in our products today into one single Atlassian Teams concept that can be used across the Atlassian product suite. If this sounds interesting to you, we would love it if you would join us in trying out these early features to help us shape the future of Atlassian Teams. Please fill out this form if interested - https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9 We are looking for teams that currently use the free & standard edition of Jira software.

Full context at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Early-access-program-for-a-brand-new-Team-field-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/1833946

0 votes
Karen April 9, 2024

This feature is now available.  @Ishan Somasiri  Can we query for work assigned to a team across the organization?

0 votes
Karen April 9, 2024

This feature is available now but I am not sure of the capabilities it brings.  @Ishan Somasiri  Can we view work assigned to a team across our org sites? projects?  Can you enlighten us on the feature capabilities?

0 votes
Frank Sforza
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 3, 2024

Whats the update here?

0 votes
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2021

Hi @Noel da Costa ,

I'm developer from the team that is building Teams . First of all, apologies on our cloud documentation. It's all over the place ATM and does not reflect the current status of things. In addition to what @Angélica Luz has mentioned above, it's also possible to,

• Mention teams in Jira and Confluence
  • Share Jira issues and Confluence pages with teams

In addition to above, we are working on adding Teams support to Jira issues (where one could assign a ticket to a Team) and JQL (where issues assigned to a Team can be found). These will be released soon.

Managing permissions using Teams is something our team is heavily invested in and is actively looking in to. We do understand this is an integral part of the experience. But unfortunately I can't confirm a release time for that feature.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any further questions.

Regards,

Ishan

Alex Nodeland August 4, 2021

Hi @Ishan Somasiri ,

Excited to hear about this update. Any status updates on this? 

Please link to the ticket if it exists.

Regards,

Alex

Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2021

@Alex Nodeland It's finally (almost) here!. 

We have an upcoming release of a brand new Teams field in Jira and we'd like to invite you to join a limited Early Access Program!

With this field enabled, users will be able to
- Create and manage teams
- Associate Jira issues with Teams
- Search (JQL), filter, and create reports for issues by Team
- View the issues associated with a team on the team profile (across Jira, Confluence and more) We are launching this as part of a larger mission to enable our products to be more effective for teamwork. This field uses the Atlassian Teams concept (the one that is accessible through the People menu on the top nav on Jira and Confluence cloud editions). We are also working on unifying the different team concepts you see in our products today into one single Atlassian Teams concept that can be used across the Atlassian product suite. If this sounds interesting to you, we would love it if you would join us in trying out these early features to help us shape the future of Atlassian Teams. Please fill out this form if interested - https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9 We are looking for teams that currently use the free & standard edition of Jira software.

Full context at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Early-access-program-for-a-brand-new-Team-field-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/1833946

Form to fill to try out the feature : https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9

Deleted user April 1, 2022

Is there any update on this? Is it live yet?

Like Ishan Somasiri likes this
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2022

@[deleted] The EAP is still in progress. A date for making it public hasn't been decided yet.

Jose Miguel Rodriguez September 1, 2022

Any news regarding this issue ? so now we can mention teams right? but whats actually the diffrence between creating a team and or "adding people to a project" because all persons added to a project get notifications and in the team happen the same so whats the diffrence ? Like regarding the unique capabilities for the teams options

hadesunseenn September 16, 2022

Any update on this ? Need a way to assign Teams to porject  and create reports according to Teams @Ishan Somasiri 

Matt Stacks January 13, 2023

Any update on this?

Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2023

Hi everyone, apologies for the late response.

We've already started the rollout of this feature!. At present I can't guarantee when every site receives this feature, but we definitely are slowly releasing to more and more customers.

Regards,

Ishan

Max Ålander February 1, 2024

Almost a year later. Is this feature available now?

Like Frank Sforza likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events