How to add Release Notes via Smart Values to an automated email send upon version release?

Desislava Dimitrova
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 22, 2021

Hello,

I have an active automation rule, which sends an email every time a new Version is marked as Released.

Is there a way to add the release notes directly into the automated email using automation/smart values? 

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Desislava Dimitrova  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I know of two ways to do what you ask, depending upon whether or not you need the issue information in the email and your recipients have Jira access:

1. If your recipients have Jira access, you could just send them a link to the specific release page, substituting in your information for company, project, and version: myCompany/browse/myProject/fixforversion/{{version.id}}
  2. Use a Lookup Issues action to gather the issues and then iterate over them to send the details.  To do this please try:

Release Report rule:

• Trigger: when version released
  • Action: lookup issues on JQL with fixVersion = '{{version.name}}'
  • Action: send email with some markup for the list, substituting in your company URL and project name.
Release {{version.name}} included these items:

<ul>
{{#lookupIssues}}
<li><a href="{{url}}">{{key}}</a>: {{summary}}; {{assignee.displayName}}</li>{{/}}
</ul>

Link to the version is:
myCompany/browse/myProject/fixforversion/{{version.id}}

Please see the Lookup Issues documentation to learn the fields available for you to include.

Best regards,

Bill

Desislava Dimitrova
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 23, 2021

@Bill Sheboy Point 2 was the most applicable in my case, and I succeeded! Thank you for the helpful information!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2021

Awesome!  I am glad to learn that helped you.

aagrawal September 27, 2021

Hi,

This is very useful.

A question though :

In the mark up how can I put two different lists based on issue type.

Example :

I would like to have two sections :

1) New Features

2) Bug fixed.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2021

Hi @aagrawal -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

In the future, I recommend adding a new question and adding a link to this related post.  That will get the most people looking at it to offer help.  Thanks!

Are you using Jira Cloud or the Server/Data Center version?

Only Jira Cloud supports Lookup Issues, and you may only use one lookup at a time.  So two possible work-arounds I can think of for the sections are:

1. Include all the issues you want in the lookup, and then use conditional logic in the email body to selectively list what you want: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-conditional-logic/
  2. Include the New Features in your lookup JQL, format and save the results in a created variable, and repeat for other sections.  Then include those created variables as the sections in the email body.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like aagrawal likes this
aagrawal September 27, 2021

I tried with first option , it worked as expected. Thanks.

for everyone benefit , here is the code :

<ul>
{{#lookupIssues}}
{{#if(equals(issuetype.name,"Story"))}}
<li><a href="{{url}}">{{key}}</a>: {{summary}}:{{issuetype.name}}</li>{{/}}
{{/}}
</ul>

Like # people like this
Sohail Alam September 19, 2023

Hi @Desislava Dimitrova  & @Bill Sheboy . I put this automation rule but it did not work.380628187_1292697651611417_7339655145478920047_n.jpg Could you please help me?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2023
Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events