How to access historical data from Jira

b_hassan21 January 7, 2022

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to create reports for my organization but they need historical data from sprints,epics , how can I get that data as once we close the sprint that data is not there anywhere to find.

Thanks for any guidance 

3 answers

0 votes
Martial September 22, 2023

We ran into similar questions and wound up developing an external solution that runs daily Jira ticket data extracts and then allows us to run any over-time comparisons and/or graphics.

We needed this for various scope, progress and financial controls and couldn't find a way how Jira could support us out-of-the-box.

I have wondered whether there could be enough community interest to turn into an extension for the marketplace. Will do some review to see whether more of us have run into this.

0 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 9, 2022

Hi @b_hassan21 

The velocity report is the first thing that came to mind if you're looking for sprint predictability report. Another one, that might be even more relevant in your case, is the Burnup report. Here you can choose any sprint and compare issues committed vs issues completed.

123.png

If you're looking for more historical details (like what changes were made to issues, by which user and when) you can check the Issue History add-on. My team has developed it as a retrospective journal for every past activity.

Let me know if you find any solution handy.

b_hassan21 January 9, 2022

Thanks, I already know these reports. I want to access that data and make Power BI report. How can I get that data. Like completed story points 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

As an issue tracker, Jira tracks all change on the issues, and that's where the data for historical changes on sprints, epics and everything else is kept.

So, the simple answer to "how can I get that data" is "look at the history for the issues".

But that's not a lot of help to you, I think.  Could you tell us what you are trying to report on in a bit more detail?  There are plenty of historical reporting options, but we cannot really point you to any that might be useful without knowing what reports you're trying to get to!

b_hassan21 January 7, 2022

I'm trying to generate sprint predictability report, issues committed vs issues completed. Problem is as we close sprint we can't get that data, or how to pull that. I even tried AIO reports and Jira Connector .

Thanks for your reply, looking forward to some kind of solution

James Maikowski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 25, 2024

I believe the original poster may be trying to do the same thing we are looking to do.  Said a different way, we want to create a graph of Completed/Committed issues (%) on the Y axis and the Sprints by date on the X axis.  This will yield the "historical" trend of  Predictability/Sprint over time.

Now, the Atlassian Analytics "Sprint Overview" dashboard has the data for Completed/Committed during the sprint.  I've been able to grab the final entry and create a singular Predictability% data point for a single sprint.  The complexity arises when we try and scale that over multiple sprints.  The query code to gather the Predictability% is a long loop through the life of an issue to arrive at exactly when the issue was completed and in which sprint.  We have not been able to figure out a way to cycle through a list of sprints to gather this final, valuable Predictability% data point for multiple sprints and create a trend graph based on those.

We are on the requisite Jira Cloud solution that has access to Atlassian Analytics.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events