How to I get a list of Epics that have Issues linked to them?

Praveen Vemula December 4, 2017

Hi I am trying to create filtered boards for various components and expecting to show only those epics on the Story board I used the following JQL but it returns all the Epics (rightfully so) and only the issues that have component set to iMedia. What I want is the query to return only the Epics that have issues whose component name is XYZ - so that the board looks neat. I don't want to use any plugins. Is there a way this can be done, if not can you think of any alternate solution?

project = GAN AND (issuetype = Epic OR component = XYZ) 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2017

If I understand your requirement correctly - you basically want all the Epics which has issues with component name = XYZ.

I don't think it's out of the box supported by JIRA.

using a plugin (script runner) it's pretty easy.

issueFunction in epicsOf("type=story and component = XYZ") 

The above query gets all epics which have stories with component XYZ as issues in epic.

0 votes
Laura Bier July 15, 2020

I'm dealing with a similar problem.  I am trying to create a query that returns all issues (task/story/bug) where epic component = <value>.  I am trying to avoid having to add components to every issue... 

Suggest an answer