How to Download Jira logs from ubuntu server ?

Shubham Vishwmabhar August 24, 2022

I wanted to download jira logs from ubuntu server but permission is denied for the same. 

Please help for the same

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

@Shubham Vishwmabhar 

How do you try to access the log files (via scp ....)?

Do you use the right account to access these files?

Cheers

Kurt

I'm using root user to access the file i can access the file in terminal but i can't download it .

If i use Filezilla , i dont have the right to access that file, it says permission denied 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

Hi @Shubham Vishwmabhar 

Adding to what Kurt said, may I add that if all you need are the logs, why not just generate them directly from the troubleshooting and support page and you get the link to download it?

This avoids all permission related issues.

If however, you want to download directly from Ubuntu, then may I ask how you wanted to do this and did you check that the user you are using has the right permissions?

• Run ls -lisa on <JIRA-HOME>/log folder

Also check you have the appropriate permission to write to where you want to copy to.

Regards.

Like Kurt Klinner likes this

@Ismael Jimoh I want the log files because , able facing issue while installing JIRA.

So i have to download it through ubuntu and the permission for the files are given to user JIRA, this user is not been created by me . It's automatically created by jira and i dont know its username and password .

Can you please help me out with how to access that user and download the logs in local computer .

Thanks in advance 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2022

I can't do this as I have no access to your instance nor do I know how it was setup.

1. Is this instance stored locally on your machine or is it a remote server?
  2. If it is in your local machine, how was it installed?

As I mentioned, if you can access your JIRA Home directory, run the command I shared above to confirm who owns and what permissions they have.

Following this, we can then understand or narrow down what the issue itself is.

I just read you can access the file via root user (not best practice but ...)

scp root@<your-server>:/<path to JIRA HOME Log folder> /<folder in local machine to store the data>

The following should help you pull the information. 

You will be prompted for credentials of root.

Alternatively, you can zip the folder, move it to a temporary directory that is owned by your actual local user /home/your-user/temp and change permission of the zip file so the owner is your user. 

Then use scp to copy it.

1. Zip the log folder in JIRA home directory
  2. mkdir a temp folder in your /home/<user> folder
  3. mv <JIRA-home>/zipped-log-file to temp folder in step 2
  4. chown the zipped file to your user
  5. From your local machine and using the scp method, copy the zipped file over.
Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2022

@Shubham Vishwmabhar 

Can you share the output of 

ls -lisa on <JIRA-HOME>/log folder

as well a screenshot of your filezilla screen?

Hey @Kurt Klinner ,Please check below Screenshoot 

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 4.26.18 PM.png

I'm trying to access the server through EC2 Instance Connect Shell. It's a remote Server 

@Kurt Klinner @Ismael Jimoh  I have copied the file to TEMP folder but , now I'm Not able to Download it in my Local System. 
Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 4.53.16 PM.png

Suggest an answer