How to Delete Automated Slack Messages from Jira

Gunnar Klitzing June 14, 2022

Hi all,

I currently have automation to send a lack message after some fields are not empty. However, sometimes people make mistakes and the wrong data is entered into the fields, thus once they change the field, the slack message is sent again with the correct data. Now there are (2) messages pertaining to the same subject in my slack channel, but with different data values posted. I would like to be able to delete the first message send from Automation from Jira, since it has incorrect data, but I see I do not have that ability to do so.

Does anyone know if there is a way to delete these automated messages sent over slack? If not, can I set up the automation in Jira to not send the message as a bot, but as a specific person (such as me) so that I can delete the post?

Greatly appreciate the feedback!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2022

Hey @Gunnar Klitzing , welcome to the Community!

The way Automation sends messages into Slack is through a legacy webhook. It's very much a "send it and forget it" style of pushing messages. Right now, this is not configurable.

In order to delete those messages, you'll need Slack Administrator permissions (or Slack Owner permission - but that's the next step up!), and do it directly in the channel. There's currently no way to have Automation remove these messages, or reconfigure Automation so a non-Slack-Admin can remove them.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events