How to Customize Backlog

Mark Verso September 29, 2022

I am on a company managed backlog and I would like to customize the backlog to show the stage of the workflow each ticket is at like team-managed boards. Is there a customization method I can use to do this?

I also would like to create a filter that would allow me to sort tickets by stage in the backlog (i.e. tickets would start with the final stage "done" and go down to tickets in the first stage "not started" or vice versa). I would then like to toggle off the filter and have the tickets organized according to the order determined by the product manager. I understand the Kanban view fulfills this sortation need to an extent, but the backlog view is much easier to look at than the Kanban view.

Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

Hello @Mark Verso 

As you noted in a Team Managed project the current Status of an issue is shown on the cards for the issues displayed on the Backlog screen.

In a Company Managed project that is not the case.

There is an option to add up to 3 fields to the card display in the Backlog and 3 fields to the card display in the Board view. That option is found by clicking the ... button in the upper right corner of the board, selecting Board Settings, and then selecting Card Layout.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 3.13.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-29 at 3.13.53 PM.png

The fields you add will be displayed on the left side of the cards and below the Summary in the Backlog screen.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 3.15.17 PM.png

You can not change the sorting order of issues on the Backlog screen using a Quick Filter. The sort order is set as part of the Filter Query for the board and, in agile methodology, that order is by "priority" which is called the Rank of the issue in Jira.  If you want to see the issues sorted by their Status (what you are calling "stage") you can do that in the Advanced Issue Search screen.

Mark Verso September 29, 2022

Thank you Trudy. This is not as ideal as the team managed project, but it works. I appreciate your detailed response.

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

Hello @Mark Verso ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I think you misunderstand the concept of the backlog. A backlog is meant to show the work that has not been been started (first stage in your concept).  

Your stages could actually be columns on a Kanban board.  That allows you to see progress of each item visually.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events