Andrey Ponomarenko October 28, 2019

Hello! 

Currently I can organise tasks only in such way:

Epic -> Story -> Subtask

OR

Epic -> Task -> Subtask

And I would like to have the following:

Epic -> Story -> Task -> Subtask

Is there a setting in Jira so I can get what I need? May be there is a plugin?

3 answers

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2019

Andrey,

Jira by default allow for Epics -> Issue -> Sub-Task.  A story and a task are both just issues.  If you want to go deeper than that you would need an app that can help you do this.  Plugins like Structure and Big Picture can help organize jira issues however you would like them to display in the apps interface.

Structure - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/34717/structure-project-management-at-scale?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Big Picture - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212259/bigpicture-project-management-ppm?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 10, 2020

Hello Andrey,

In BigPicture/BigGantt, you can automatically create a no-limited number of WBS levels. Task Structure can be created based on both build-in task attributes (e.g., Epic link, Component, Version, Sprint) as well as links.

To achieve hierarchy: Epic >> Story >> Task >> Subtask, you can set the suitable rules, by activating respective structure builders in Program Configuration (Epic, Subtask). The exception is the "Story >> Task" dependency. Use a link-based constructor here, e.g., Parent to child relation (or another custom link) after prior linking them in Jira. It is important that the link direction must be legible from Jira's level. 

Tasks newly added to the program will follow the rules currently defined in the structure builders' settings. See my images as a reference.

image-2020-07-10-13-43-45-387.png

image-2020-07-10-13-44-24-332.png

Please note that the order of structure builders will determine different levels of the hierarchy, or in other words, the first structure builder determines the highest level within the structure.

More detailed information you will find in our article Program Box configuration - Task - Task structure.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Anna

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2019

Hello, @Andrey Ponomarenko@Brant Schroeder is correct. Structure and Big Picture are the two most popular solutions for this. 

It looks like you may have used Structure for Jira for a time back in 2015.  A lot has changed since then. Please let us know if we can help you achieve your hierarchy goals.

You can reach out to us via structure@almworks.com at any time if you'd like some tips.

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer