How is Testing Managed in Jira Software?

Yogita Patil November 6, 2019

Does anyone know about managing Testing with Jira Sofware? How are the Test Cases created and Test Execution results handled with Jira as it does not have any predefined issue-type as Test-Case or Test-Execution Result?

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2019
Durgesh Shukla November 6, 2019

@Yogita Patil  Check out Qmetry for Jira add-on - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215144/qmetry-test-management-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=pricing. 
It is an economical and very effective which is evolving day by day.

Like # people like this
Brian Walker November 6, 2019

Hi @Yogita Patil

My vote goes to QMetry Test Management for Jira and I am using it personally from the past couple of years.

Here is the Marketplace Link:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215144/qmetry-test-management-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

- Brian

Like Yogita Patil likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Thanks, @Ollie Guan  . Could you please suggest some plugins for Jira Softwares?

@Jack Brickey  the link is not working

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2019

Hi @Yogita Patil ,

The above three links have given some test management plugins that they can use for Jira Software.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2019

@Yogita Patil, unsure why it isn't working for you it does for me. In any event Ollie provided some and you can simply go to marketplace and enter "test management".

Like Yogita Patil likes this
Yogita Patil November 12, 2019

Thanks @Jack Brickey 

1 vote
Mark Bentsen November 12, 2019

All of these are designed for test management. I like the recommendation to get demos and determine what is best for you. Also, trying it out will give you more insight. They all have their pros and cons.

Test-Mgmt.gif

We use Xray and our team really likes it. It has had some performance issues in the past, but that has largely improved in the last updates (3.5.x). 

Mark Bentsen May 12, 2020

So, after additional consideration, I would position myself by saying "Most modern solutions are going to be fine for your needs." Lots of purchase making people in the enterprise are hoping to find the 'one right tool' for their testing needs. Salespeople for vendors are helping to sell this perspective. This is what I believe... It is more like getting married. Is there only one person who will be your ideal mate for life? mmm... not likely. Much of it is about you, and compatibility, and being up front, and other important things I can't come up with right now. If you have a sufficient tool, good processes, and obey the rules of the road; chances are it will go well for you when you purchase the solution. XRAY, Zephyr, QMetry, etc. If you are wheels off, the tool is not going to save you. 

Also, please try to divorce Excel for test management, and beware of freeware (there is no such thing. Time and attention are expensive non-replenishable resources). 

0 votes
Sha Melo July 9, 2020

Does anyone know (from a high level) if any of the plugins mentioned above include an element of time tracking? I've used Zephy and Jira in the past, but I wasn't concerned about when testing happened (just that it did and could be tracked with tickets).

Thanks.

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2020

Doest it mean the effort spent on each test execution, and test plan? If yes, synapseRT support it. You can make time estimate for each of your test case, during your test execution, you can fill time effort for your execution, and it will show on test plan level so that you know how much time spent on the test plan and how much effort still need to be done.

Noopur Varshney _AIO Tests_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 15, 2020

Hi @Sha Melo ,

AIO Tests does support time tracking. 

It allows to estimate execution effort for a case and also allows to capture actual execution effort. The execution cycle page shows estimated vs actual effort, thus helping you gauge timelines.

In addition, AIO Tests reports like Burndown report can help visualize whether you are on track to complete execution and a possible estimate of completion. Execution distribution reports also show the actual vs estimated breakdown, which can help analyze possible slippages or gains.

Regards,

AIO Tests Team

Peter_DevSamurai
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2023

Dear @Sha Melo , you should carefully choose which plugin to use because some fearures that you need are to paid for, yes of course nothing comes for free. But I recommend you try out AgileTest , it is free and I see that they have Milestone feature that supports time tracking and all types of testing methods. So pretty convenient if you ask me. 
image.png

Suggest an answer