You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Join now to unlock these features and more
I'm trying to determine how scope change % is calculated in the Sprint Health Gadget in Jira. On one of sprints, my team started with 120 points and added two 5 point & and one 3 point stories and it says the scope change is 125%...this has to be incorrect.
I confirmed in my board configuration I'm using Story Points and not issue count for the estimation method.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Hi @Colleen Bordieri -- Welcome to the Atlassian community!
Have you reviewed this documentation for the gadget? It essentially uses the estimation method for your board and calculates using the add/removed items since the sprint started.
Bill, I read the documentation, the explanation is pretty simple "if you started a sprint with 50 story points and add an issue with 5 story points, the Sprint Health gadget would show a 10% scope change".
But, really, that doesn't match. It doesn't look that simple, I actually replied the same situation described in documentation.
Estimation in board is in Story Points.
I just tried your scenario with a classic project in Cloud version, and it worked correctly for me: start with 120 pts in sprint, add 2x5 pts and 1x3pts = rounded up to 11% scope change. So, perhaps there is a different server version issue.
I found two open defects for server that seemed related you this symptom...both of which are about 4 years old.
I suggest submitting a support ticket and then please post back here what Atlassian finds. Thank you!
@Bill Sheboy @rateodoros I figured out the issue I was seeing! It had to do with the start date and time of the sprint. In the sprint that showed 125% scope change, the start date and time logged in Jira was earlier than when we actually clicked start for the sprint.
The original start time of the sprint is noted as 10AM in the screenshot. In reality, the Scrum Master didn't start the sprint until 11:30AM. Because of that difference, Jira calculated everything in the sprint as scope change.
Once we adjusted the time to reflect 11:30AM on 7/15, scope change % dropped back down to where it actually should have been.
Good catch! I completely forgot about that issue as the teams I help with scrum normally plan on a physical board and then move to JIRA. That helps confirm the start date/time matches reality.
Please consider marking this question as answered so others can find this and learn from what you resolved. Thanks!
I just tried this for Jira Cloud and it worked for me.
For your dashboard gadget, have you checked if it is updating? For example, edit the dashboard and gadget and check the data is refreshing.
No, I did not. And when I did, I got the same results as you did. I found this suggestion to change that behavior here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25786
Without any specific information from the Atlassian team, I suspect the reason is stability in explanation and calculation:
When there is a single value for Original Estimate for the issue, that burns down all at once for an issue when it is completed (as do Story Points). And so scope change is clearly explainable.
But when estimates for time tracking are added / removed / changed at an individual item level throughout the day, the "scope" would need to be relative to the total Original Estimate at the time the sprint start and the current point-in-time roll-up of the issues...Or, it could be relative to the current total Original Estimate for items and the remaining, Or...perhaps some other way to measure.
Sorry I do not have a better answer for you on this one. You could also try reaching out to Atlassian Support to learn what they say: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/