How does a sprint determine if an issue is "closed"

Jason Huntowski March 19, 2019

What is the trigger that makes a sprint believe that an issue is "Done"? In the past, on our old server version, I thought this was determined by the "Resolution" field. In the new cloud version I am using, it seems like the only way I can get the sprint to recognize an issue is done is to have it put in the "Closed" status. The problem I have with this, is I have a test phase after our development phase, but I want to close the sprint after things are moved to the QA phase. Is there a way to set the "determining factor" of what a sprint counts as a "done" issue sp I can close the sprint without the tickets being pushed to the next sprint?

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

Hi @Jason Huntowski,

Sprints are a feature of a board. And although both status and resolution both have a clear relation to what people consider 'done', for a sprint board this is just everything that is in the rightmost column of your board. 

Frank March 20, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout , do you know if there is any plan to change this?

The workflow configuration suggest that you can have mutliple stati that render an issue as "done". After completing my first sprint in Jira, I was surprised to find that all my completed tasks were reported as still open. I finally found this thread where I have learned that a sprint does not care what you do in the workflow.

Wouldnt it be more straight forward to have a sprint work with the workflow definition? I think the current behavior is inconsistent.

Frank

Suggest an answer