How do you manage releases on next-gen boards?

Zoe Malcolm October 12, 2018

I've created a next-gen board, because I wanted a quick Kanban board. However, I don't see a "Release" option. In JIRA Cloud Kanban - one can release issues (status - closed + fix version field populated) via the board. I see no functionality for that.

Am I missing something?

19 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
mythili
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

All, Thanks for your feedback and comments.   I appreciate your patience. We understand the importance of Releases (versions) in next-gen and we are in the process of prioritizing this feature.  However other higher priority features like sub-tasks  have taken significantly longer time to implement than we had anticipated.   I will keep you posted as soon as we start working on releases in next-gen, at which point I would be able to give you a timeline on when releases will be available. I have also updated the JAC ticket with the same information.

JosephF May 16, 2019

Post when it is fixed because without Releases the tool is not usable for me.  None of those other high pri features matter to me without the core ability to manage releases.

Like # people like this
mythili
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Will do.

Like # people like this
Neil Jain June 10, 2019

Hi, is there any update on this? We are wanting to create a releases based on our performance and didn't see an option for this yet. 

Like # people like this
Eszter Gero July 5, 2019

Hi there, an ETA of the versions/releases function in next-gen would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Like # people like this
Isabell Stahl September 3, 2019

Hey @mythili , This request was raised nearly one year ago and I can not find an update to this feature. Can you give the community an update or an ETA for this feature now?  

whammy
Atlassian Team
September 3, 2019

Hi All, thanks for your patience, whilst we work through our priorities. The quick update from our side is that we are currently scoping the work for the first few milestones to bring releases into next-gen. I'll be posting updates soon in the jira.atlassian.com ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17260, please following along there.

Like Thuy-Kim NGUYEN NGOC likes this
Andrew Norman November 4, 2019

keep us in the loop

Vít Strnad March 5, 2021

Any update on this?

Erick Vanegas June 28, 2021

2 years and still waiting

Tom Manley June 29, 2021

Pretty sure that, after two years without any significant activity, we should conclude that "Next Generation Projects" are dead.

Jannis Schreiber June 30, 2021

You all are aware, that this has been delivered like 6 months ago, aren't you?

40 votes
Jamie Aquila October 22, 2018

How do we get to vote on features like this? This is one of the few remaining pieces holding us back from migrating to Next Gen.

Carolyn Moore October 22, 2018

How many times can I upvote this? I don't see how I can work on my roadmap without releases. This is a bummer, surprised releases were not a must have

Like Jomar_Amomas likes this
Jen Blagg October 24, 2018

As someone who has already switched over, this is really disappointing. This is a must have feature for my organization.

Like # people like this
Kevin Capel November 27, 2018

Agreed, not having releases is a non-starter for using a next-gen project. 

Like # people like this
Rob T November 29, 2018

I really like this next gen To-Do list! 🤷🏼‍♂️ . 

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
16 votes
Maziar Zamani October 25, 2018

Without releases the next-gen does not really feel like next-gen at all. Its a step backwards compared to the classic projects.

5 votes
whammy
Atlassian Team
November 6, 2019

Hi Everyone, quick update from my side is that we're aiming to ship our first milestone of releases and versions before the end of the month. Milestone 1 includes the ability to:

1. Configure the fix version field to appear on your next-gen issue types
  2. Create and assign an issue to a particular fix version
  3. View a list of versions, their status (released, archived, unreleased) and the progress of that version via the releases page
  4. Search for issues containing a particularly fix version (or versions) via JQL

We are shipping additional functionality in subsequent milestones which we anticipate we'll be able to roll out soon after milestone 1.

I'll post up a sign-up form for those interested in getting access to this functionality in the next week or so that you can all have the opportunity to sign-up.

It's coming soon, thanks for all your patience!

Gareth.

4 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

Hello,

Releases are not available yet for next-gen projects. You should create a classic project to manage releases.

Zoe Malcolm October 12, 2018

That would have been useful information. I would recommend that fact being mentioned more predominantly in the documentation.

Thanks for the quick response, Alexey. Much appreciated.

Like # people like this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

You are welcome!

Dionie Olo October 19, 2018

Any ETA on when releases might be available for next-gen?

Like Andy Eunson likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2018

I do not have any clue about it :) I am a Jira user like you.

Syed Yasir Hassan (168090) December 21, 2018

I would suggest using Road-map epics as Release. And the tags as epics. This way you can Manage Release. 

Like # people like this
mythili
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2019

All, Thanks for your feedback and comments and appreciate your patience. We understand the importance of Releases (versions) in next-gen and we are in the process of prioritizing this feature.  However other higher priority features like sub-tasks  have taken significantly longer time to implement than we had anticipated. I have updated the JAC ticket with the same comment.  I will keep you posted as soon as we start working on releases in next-gen, at which point I should be able to give you a timeline on when releases will be available .

2 votes
Arvid December 13, 2018

Next-gen projects have good potentials. But the fact that it is published with so many limitations and lacking features is no more than embarrassing for Atlassian. I was really looking forward to start using the new roadmap feature for my team, but when I realized that not even release feature was available, I was very disappointed!

2 votes
Tom Manley November 29, 2018

Yesterday, my boss asked me for an update on next gen- it looks like it has some good features, should we move? I spent the next ten minutes listing all the things it lacks. Atlassian, I really don't know why you've even published this. This isn't even a beta yet. Call it a 'sneak peak' or a 'preview of coming attractions' but labeling this your next gen showcase is just making people disappointed and bitter.

1 vote
whammy
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2019

Hi Everyone, I'm excited to announce that releases and versions (Milestone 1) is now available for you to use on your next-gen projects!

Rather than delay the rollout and ask you to sign-up for access, we made the decision to make it available to everyone immediately as we know this is an important feature. All you need to do is enable the 'Releases and versions' toggle in the feature page under Project Settings, more details are available here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/releases-and-versions-980451731.html.

As a reminder, Milestone 1 includes the ability to:

1. Configure the fix version field to appear on your next-gen issue types
  2. Create and assign an issue to a particular fix version
  3. View a list of versions, their status (released, archived, unreleased) and the progress of that version via the releases page
  4. Search for issues containing a particularly fix version (or versions) via JQL

I've just published a Community post about the experience for you if you're interested in learning more: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/New-features-for-next-gen-projects-in-Jira-Software-Cloud/ba-p/1232149

We are shipping additional functionality in subsequent milestones which we anticipate we'll be able to roll out soon after milestone 1.

In the meantime please let me know if you have any feedback on the above!

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Deleted user December 5, 2019

Thanks Gareth.  We recently migrated from a classic project to next-gen.  We had our first release last night.  Any update on when the included issues will be removed from the board?

Jannis Schreiber December 19, 2019

Still lacking basic "release" management functionality: Issues stay on board (AND in "Backlog", even if they are done) forever. No option to generate the release notes based on issues in this release. Whhhhyyy?!

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

They should introduce the ability to clean done status early this year :)

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen#intheworks

YassineTracktor April 15, 2020

How about filtering the board by version ? I spent few hours looking for a way to do it but it seems not yet supported by the next gen...

Martijn April 30, 2020

Hi Atlassian,

Thanks for giving us back the Releases option.

Would be nice if someone could also copy/paste the source code from Classic to create the "Release Notes" automatically.

What is it with you big software companies that new products always lack features from existing products? And thus you so annoy your paying customers.

You could have witnessed good old Microsoft failing completely with all their "next-gen" crap in Windows 10, like Edge, Mail, Paint. Massive amounts of users were, and still are (after many years since Win10 launch), missing key functionalities in those tools.
And what does Atlassian? Instead of learning from this total failure, just repeat this presumptuous attitude and give the same finger to all their users.

And now you expect us all to be happy and pat you on the back by "proudly presenting" functionality that existed for many years in Classic.

I'm excited to see your CEO leaving asap.

1 vote
whammy
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2019

Hi Everyone, thanks very much for your feedback and for your patience whilst we work through our next-gen priorities.

Today, I am excited to share that we just started envisioning for releases in next-gen. I will have more to share with you over the next few weeks and months but I want to reach out to you all and let you know that we are making a start!

I would also like to take this opportunity to setup customer interviews with anyone that's interested in a further chat about releases. Interviews generally last an hour where you can have a face to face chat with the team that's actually doing the work, we can also keep these to 30 minutes if that suits your schedule better.

If anyone is interested in the above, please feel free to send me an email at gwham@atlassian.com and we can setup some time from there.

I'm looking forward to bringing you releases functionality to next-gen!

1 vote
Lukáš Pikora November 7, 2018

I have solved this temporarily by creating another project "Releases" with columns named with version numbers. Then after release I move all issues from "Done" column to version column in "Releases" project board.

One drawback is that links to Epics are lost from moved issues.

Maziar Zamani November 7, 2018

Interesting approach, but rather cumbersome. :( 

Guille Martinez December 19, 2018

Workarounds... not good

0 votes
Jannis Schreiber April 30, 2020

Anybody who also works on salesforce or has access to a salesforce org: I wrote a small app that replicates the "release note generation".

Someone interested in the source code?

0 votes
A_Raadls May 15, 2019

I have to agree.  I was really hoping that one of the promises of Next-Gen was going to be lack of reliance on Plug-ins like this.  Releases were a great feature, and it does amaze me too that this post is now 1/2 year old with little response from an Atlassian team member to address why this not only is taking so long to implement, but whether it will come at all!

I have commented in the forum that some other up-and-coming apps such as Clubhouse, ClickUp, and others seem to move quickly, and I do hope the Next-Gen team can get to this velocity.  There are numerous other missing features such as Classic, such as the ability to just add a Sprint to any type of project, which is useful if I don't always run sprints, or have DevOps/Incident type stuff that I do with Kanban, along side Scrum work in a project.

0 votes
Celso Martins April 25, 2019

Atlassian people must really take some project management classes. Project is an artifact having a business goal well defined and start and end dates. You have flexible dates does not mean you have no dates at all. Projects with no dates is insane. What you call project is a product (continuous improvement artifact) and what you called fix version in the past is the real project. Please, fix this.

0 votes
Nikola Závadská April 8, 2019

We enabled full support for release functionality in Next-Gen projects in app Swanly release timeline for Jira Cloud.
You can create release for Next-Gen project in application, access Releases screen and assign versions to Next gen issues.

There is much more features available in the app eg. Visualisation of releases on Timeline, Adding custom stages to releases, cross-project releases…

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219470/swanly-release-timeline-for-jira

next-gen-release.png

JosephF April 9, 2019

Can't find a single post about the terrible lack of Releases in next-gen projects without someone shilling for this Swanly plug-in.

A paid plug-in is NO SUBSTITUTE for this major removal of an existing feature.

Like # people like this
Maziar Zamani April 9, 2019

Really unfortunate that a feature from JIRA Classic has to be applied via plug-in. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Erick Vanegas December 5, 2018

Loving the new UI ... But still fell that this is something that could be done on the "Classic" projects. Something disappointing is the lack of "easy migration" and the lack of "Release" option, I mean, Do I have to create a new Project/Board in order to make a plan (within Kanban ) ? 

0 votes
Maziar Zamani November 27, 2018

I had to make a workaround for this problem. So i created versioned epics, e.g: Mobile Website v1.0, etc. I know this is completely insane, but at least for now, it seems to get the job done. I find it quite disappointing that this feature was not adopted in, what seems to be an early release.

0 votes
Lukas Pikora November 9, 2018

Another way how to "simulate" version release feature in next gen Jira is using Sprints.

Just create new sprint with name of future version eg. 1.2.x Then move all desired issues from backlog to this sprint and start the sprint.

After release of version - close the sprint. Issues in Done column will disappear from board and all other issues will go to the new sprint - next version 1.3.x

But there are some major drawbacks:

• you will lose option for add issues directly to the board with that plus button at the end of columns - it just disappears from board when Sprints feature is turned on.

• you can add new issue to the board only creating one in backlog and manually moving it (from backlog screen from the bottom) to the board (sprint)
  • you can`t add more issues to the closed sprint (released version) it just not possible
  • you can`t move issues from closed sprint (released version) back to board
  • you can find older version issues only filtering them by sprint name in jira global issues page (https://mapotic.atlassian.net/issues/)
Carolyn Moore November 9, 2018

Personally, I have no interest in backflip-level workarounds to get a paid (and not inexpensive) product to work. I would never ask my own customers to “upgrade” to less functionality. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tom Manley November 8, 2018

Wait... Releases aren't on the next-gen roadmap?

Zoe Malcolm November 27, 2018

Apparently not. Even in the link above re: 10 new favorite JIRA cloud features - is about classic projects. Not next-gen.

0 votes
Doug Henderson October 30, 2018

From the Atlassian Community post:  My Top 10 Favorite Features in the New Jira Software Cloud

"Continuous visibility into release status. New Feature flag integrations have been added to Jira’s tracking capabilities, with CI/CD integrations coming soon. The new Releases panel enables powerful issue tracking all the way to what many would argue is the real definition of done - tracking to the moment working software goes live in the hands of customers."

Jamie Aquila October 31, 2018

Link to this post please?

Suggest an answer