How do you create a sub-task under epic that is a story?

Raoul Kaiser June 26, 2012

I want to create an epic with sub-tasks that are stories. Currently it only allows me to create sub-task or technical task. Is there a way to make this happen?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pierre Lhoste October 22, 2012

(talking Kanban here as we don't use Scrum in my company)

Basically, a subtask has to have it's own denomination. So if you are to make Stories sub-tasks, they won't be available as Tasks anymore. (am I mistaken here?)

Having the same problem as yours :

• Management Team does not want to go beyond 'story' and 'epic' as comes to planning, but they want a subcategory for 'epic. They own the management board
  • Dev team does not care about the avove levels of project management (as a matter of fact, it does, but it's not exaclty it's job), except in terms of swimlanes. They own different project specific boards.

What we did is (not optimal but works for us)

1. create an 'Episode subtask for the Epic task-type, then JQLed that to...
  2. ...a) only show story, epic, and episode on the management board.
  3. ...b) show up in the Developper Teams, then programmers link their new Tasks (the usual) to the Management Board's Epic/Episode/stories, and Lead developper marks Epic/Episode/Story as Finished when all linked tasks are finished (JQL 'view' again, to check for that)

Another option is the structure plugin, which allows task hierarchies (a view of sorts in MVC paradygm) totally decoupled from the board 'views' (and their models).

If anyone has a good alternative for implementing this sort of "multi-tier Kanban" workflow (of which this article is pretty much the "optimal" implementation) I'd be really interested to hear from them.

At least this sounds like good plugin material ;)

Raoul Kaiser November 6, 2012

I like this train of thought. I will see what I can do with this at my org. Thanks for the help.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2012

Add "story" as a sub-task type, and make sure it's in the issue-type scheme for your project.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+Issue+Types+with+Projects

Raoul Kaiser June 27, 2012

This was close, but it does not do exactly what I want. When I am in PRJ-1 I pull down more acctions and select create sub-task. The only thing I am able to select from is sub-task and technical task.

We have an issue type of "Story" so when I try to add sub-task type "Story" I get an error saying we already have an issue type of "Story".

I have linked the issues but that is about the best I can do right now. Any other ideas.

Like Raphael Paes (raphiti) likes this

Suggest an answer