Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do you copy 1 project from one Jira cloud instance to another?

Edited

Need to migrate just 1 of 20 project in our Jira Cloud instance to another completely separate instance. We don't not have visibility into the target instance. 

What is the best easiest way to do this without taking a backup of our 20 projects and letting users "select" which to restore?

4 answers

Hi Steve,

its been a several months since you posted this question, did you manage to accomplish your goal?

If not we at Botron Software the creators of Configuration Manager for JIRA have created a new tooling that works in the cloud.

Let me know if you are interested at services@botronsoft.com

Cheers,
Peter T

1 vote
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Aug 10, 2018

Unfortunately, it is not a simple process to do this in Cloud today.  There is a KB on how you can do this in How to migrate projects from one JIRA Cloud application to another

Since you do not want to provide these other users a complete backup, what I would recommend would be to export a complete backup of your Jira Cloud site, and then import that data into a fresh Jira Server installation.  Once this is complete, I would then delete all the projects from this Jira Server installation that you do not want to provide this other team/group.   Once you do that, you can then create a new Jira Server XML backup.  You can then provide this data to the other team.  It will contain the data they need.

In turn they would also need to migrate their Cloud data into a Server instance and follow the remaining steps in How to merge two different Jira Cloud applications together

This is not a trivial process to complete, it can be actually very tedious to do for a single project, and if you have to multiply that by several project, then you might want to investigate the use of some 3rd party plugins to Jira that can make this project migration easier todo, such as

Configuration Manager for Jira

or

Project Configurator for Jira

Each of these plugins can be used to help with this complex process of migrating projects in Jira.

I hope this helps.

Andy

It is only for server this plugins

can i do it for cloud too?

Like Al Boulais likes this
1 vote

Hi Steve,

Currently, it's not possible to export a single project to import to another instance.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-34307

The best option, in this case, is to create a project in the new instance, export the CSV of all tickets of the desired project and import in this new project.
You can check our documentation for more details:

Importing data from CSV

Otherwise, you can take a full backup of your instance and remove all the users in the XML, so only projects will be imported and your users won't be notified.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Hi Angélica,

Is your answer to Steve from 2018 still valid?

Regards

Mattias

Hello @Mattias Persson,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Both mine and Andrew's answers are still valid because the feature request was still not implemented.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Cecil Kumar likes this

Hi There,

is the answer still valid in 2022?

Thanks

0 votes

Hello @Todd Foley,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The answer is still valid for Jira Service Management projects, but now it's possible to migrate single company-managed Software and Business projects between Cloud sites.

For more details about the feature and steps, please check the documentation below:

Regards,
Angélica 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,834 views 37 48
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you