How do you add Epic name to a list of open issues?

Sam Lloyd
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 6, 2021

when you view a backlog in JIRA it shows you the story and then next to it on the right it shows the Epic name that the story belongs to.

I would like to replicate this on my list of open issues. 

I don't want to filter by Epic or see all issues for a particular Epic.  All I want to do is be able to see against each item in my open issues list which Epic it belongs to (in the list view, without having to go into each individual item).  

It sounds like such an easy thing to do, but I can't for the life of me see where I can add this in.  Can anybody help? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2021

Hello @Sam Lloyd 

Welcome to the community.

When you are on the Search screen and using List View, there is a Columns pull-down on the right directly above the search results. Use that to change the columns displayed in the output list. You would want the Epic Link field if you want to display the name of the Epic to which an issue belongs.

Sam Lloyd
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 7, 2021

Hi Trudy, thanks so much for your reply.  So I've added the Epic link in the list view as you suggested and it works,  however, now I am thinking that my question may have been a slightly different one.

So what I want to know is, is there a way to get the Epic link to show next to the issue/story in the Detail view?

Many thanks

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

The parent Epic name for a story generally does display in the issue details view, unless you have customized the view to not show the field.

Can you provide an image of what you see in that view for an issue that is the child of an Epic?

And, to be clear, we are talking about issues that are children of Epics, not issues that use the generic link functionality to be associated to Epics.

Suggest an answer