How do the next gen projects integrate with the existing JIRA projects

Andrew Evans May 7, 2019

Hi,

I'm looking for some best practices around using the next gen projects. Our team has an existing JIRA project today that's pretty standard BUT we've gotten a LOT of noise in there of stuff we aren't doing. I'm hoping I can use a Kanban style board to serve as our intake board for ideas, add criteria, start fleshing out User Stories and THEN migrate them over to our team board once we're ready to work on them.

But....

How do the next gen projects integrate with the existing boards? What info will map over easily (epics, US's, etc.) and what info won't? And is there somewhere I can view someone doing this type of process already?

I love the idea of the next gen board, I'm just trying to figure out how it layers into what we're doing today.

Thanks!

Andrew

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2019

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Indeed, there are some features which are quite different between Classic and Next-gen projects and can cause some incoherency and data loss when switching the key from one type to another.

These particular features are properly listed in this documentation, together with clear steps to migrate from one project to another.

Things to keep in mind if you migrate from classic to next-gen

Next-gen projects and classic projects are technically quite different, so a few things can break when you migrate from a classic software project to a next-gen software project. Here's what we know so far:

• Active sprints: Sprints in progress in your classic project won't move to your next-gen project. Issues that were in the active sprint in your classic project will be in the backlog of your next-gen project.

• Epic links and issue links: Any issue links in your classic project will not exist in your next-gen project. The issues themselves will still exist, but the links between them won't.

• Subtasks: All subtasks will be lost in this migration process.

• Custom fields: These must be recreated in your new next-gen project.

• Story points estimation: This data will be lost, however, you'll be able to start using story points estimation by enabling the Estimation feature in your next-gen project.

• Reports: Data for your project's Velocity report won't be saved. The Velocity report will show that no points were completed in past sprints.

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer