How do i set templated columns in list and globally apply it to new projects?

Ferdinanda Siagian November 11, 2021

Hi, everyone!

I am currently working in a project management team, and we are planning to use jira for daily basis. We are currently using the free plan, using jira cloud, and my level of access in the site is admin. we use the project management template in Jira.

i would like to ask : 

1. Is it possible for me to set templated column in list and globally apply it to new projects? i have read several tutorial, and many says i have to use classic projects instead of next gen project, but how do i know i currently use next gen and not classic project?

2. When i read some post, many says the step to find classic project template is by doing this steps = click create project -> then select classic project. i have tried clicking create project but all i find bunch of project templates, i couldn't find the 'classic project' setting

can someone enlighten me? 

Thankyou

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

Hello @Ferdinanda Siagian 

Answer #1: when you are viewing the project it will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left that the project is "team managed" or "company managed".

Answer #2: The step where you select team vs. company managed project is farther along in the project creation process.

- In the first screen of the Create Project process you select a base project template on the left. This would be used to establish the issue types and workflow for the project. On the right you are selecting if you want a kanban or scrum board for your project.

- In the next screen you confirm that you do want to use the template by clicking the Use Template button.

- It is in the third screen that you choose between creating a Team Manage or a Company Managed project.

- When you select Company Managed in that screen, then in the next screen you have an option to select "Share settings with an existing project". If you select that, you then select the existing projects that has the settings you want to use in your new project. What this does is create the new project such that it will use the same field configurations, screen configurations, workflow configurations, permissions configuration, notification configuration, and issue type configuration as the existing project. Those are all "Schemes" in Jira terminology. Once shared, if you modify one of these Schemes it affects all projects that use that Scheme.

I'm not sure that is what you really need to do. Please provide more details on the problem you are trying to solve and exactly what you mean by "set templated column in list". Screen images of what you want this to look like would be helpful.

Ferdinanda Siagian November 11, 2021

Hi, @Trudy Claspill  Thankyou so much! that helps a lot, that's exactly what i need.

By templated column in list i mean i want to have the same columnn in list in every project.

for example this, 

messageImage_1636691833670.jpg

i want to set this template to all of my project so i don't have to cusom field over and over again whenever i add create new project. 

But, i just found out that the reason i can't share setting with all project is because i only use free plan and i have to upgrade.

Or do you know another solution? or is there any add ons i have to install in order to do that?

Thank you in advance

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2021

Hello @Ferdinanda Siagian 

From your image I now realize you are working with a Jira Work Management (a.k.a Business) project, so now I understand your reference to columns in the list. I don't work with those, which is why I did not initially understand what you meant.

I have not worked with a Free subscription of Jira. I was not aware this feature was not available there. I am not aware of any third party app that you could install that would enable you to share settings between projects.

Since I have not worked with a Free subscription before, can you check something for me? Can you go to your Project Settings and select Fields and tell me if you have this option to Use a Different Scheme

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 9.02.43 AM.png

Ferdinanda Siagian November 14, 2021

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you so much for answering my questions.

Yes, i have 'Use a Different Scheme' option 

Screenshot 2021-11-15 001720.jpg

and when i clicked it, it showed this 

Screenshot 2021-11-15 001751.jpg

then i clicked 'add a new field configuration scheme'

and this showed up

Screenshot 2021-11-15 001936.jpg

Suggest an answer