How do i close a user story in JIRA?

Daniel Fenton April 8, 2019

Unlike Tasks in my backlog, user stories have no CLOSE option that I can find. How do I close a user story? In my case, the user stories all have closed sub-tasks but still cannot be closed. 

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Prasad Weerasinghe March 25, 2020

It probably has to do with following the Workflow - Check the flow diagram to see the conditions that arrive at 'Done' state.

eg your workflow may recognize only items (tasks/ Stories) in 'Dev Testing' or 'QA' can transition to Done state. ie.  such case, you have to go to the Story details and bring the Story status to Dev Testing or QA before you can take the Story to Done state.

If it is cumbersome, redefine the workflow. Hope that Helps

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2019

Hi Daniel - Welcome to the Community!

The Story issue type will follow the path of your workflow attached to that issue type. So, it should eventually end up in a Done status. 

Can you verify the workflow it is using? (Click on the View Workflow link below the status in the "old" JIRA Issue view).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

Hi Daniel - was this a help to you?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2020

Hey @Daniel Fenton - Just following up - would like to get this closed out. Thanks!

1 vote
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2019

In addition to what @John Funk suggested, you should check if the workflow has any conditions preventing you from closing it, i.e. only users in certain groups or roles can close it. 

Suggest an answer