How do configure and add a SMTP Mail Server?

STW Atlassian April 2, 2020

Hello,

I'm setting JIRA up for the first time in my life. I'm following the instructions but every time I test the connection, it times out and gives me the following error:

• SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

Based on some solutions I've read, I've attempted to increase the timeout amount from 10000 to 20000 but still times out.

For the SMTP Host, I'm trying to connect to my organization's email. I need this set up so I can send notifications to the added users so they may log into the JIRA server.

Please someone kindly advise on next steps.

screenshot.png

Log:

An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:222)
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:159)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.webwork.SendTestMail.doExecute(SendTestMail.java:95)
at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:165)
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:39)
at webwork.interceptor.NestedInterceptorChain.proceed(NestedInterceptorChain.java:31)
at webwork.interceptor.ChainedInterceptor.intercept(ChainedInterceptor.java:16)
at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:35)
at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:225)
at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:154)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.service(JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.java:138)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:741)
.... [100+ lines after this]

1 answer

0 votes
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2020

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the community.

From your server, are you able to reach the SMTP server? Can you ping it? Can you telnet to the appropriate port?

The first thing to check in this situation is normally if there are any firewalls, both on the Jira server side, as well as on the mail server side, as it may only be expecting connections from certain IP ranges.

STW Atlassian April 3, 2020

Hi Jimmy,

How do I check whether I am able to reach the SMTP server? What are some tools that I can use to ping it? Would you be able to share with me a web tool to easily telnet to the appropriate port? 

I'm not the admin of my organization's email, so not sure how I would be able to check for any firewalls. Any ideas? 

Best,

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2020

Hi Wendy,

Do you have server/shell/RDP access to the Jira server?

Using the command line (open up Terminal or cmd/Powershell), you should be able to ping smtp.xxxxxxxxx.org (that you configured in the screenshot above), and it will tell you how many packets of data were successfully transmitted to the mail server.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events