How do I use email handlers to strip out the comment only from an emailed reply?

Deleted user November 4, 2019

When a reporter replies to a Jira Software email notification, the entire email and original notification is added to the ticket as a comment.

Is it possible to strip out the new comment only so that the notification and everything else under the quoted email is ignored (and not duplicated).

I've been reading the help but can't figure out what I need to change in the setup below.

Mail Handlers

The table below shows the mail handlers currently configured for Jira.

Handler Name / Type

Server

Project

Issue Type

Properties

Comments from emails

Cloud Email Handler

Default Cloud Mail Server

[blank]

[blank]

Bulk: ignore

Create Users: false

Strip Quotes: true

senderEmail: no-reply@ourjira.atlassian.net

Create issues or comments

Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue

Default Cloud Mail Server

Project Name

Task

Bulk: ignore

CC Assignee: true

CC Watchers: false

Create Users: false

Notify Users: true

Strip Quotes: true

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hello @[deleted]

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

Checking your E-mail handler settings, It seems to be properly configured to skip the previous notification content from the comment added (Strip Quotes = True).

That being said, please follow the steps below so we can better troubleshoot the issue:

1 - Is this problem happening when a default software user adds the comment or is it happening for JIRA Service Desk customers? If you are using Service Desk, check under Jira settings > Products > Email requests if the Strip Quotes option is flagged.

2 - Can you please confirm if the commenter is using an Outlook e-mail account to add the comments? As you can see in the feature request below, Outlook has a feature that you can select NonQuotedCommentHandler and CreateOrCommentHandler, causing the "old" messages to don't be stripped out:

Better support for reply emails from Outlook by mail handlers

if you are facing this scenario, the workaround available would be to change the configuration of each Outlook client like described in this Documentation or use a different client to use JIRA. Also, feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if this information helps.

Tetyana SAVENKO January 27, 2021

hi @Petter Gonçalves 

I have a similar issue where incoming messages are failing due to the comment being too long.

I've confirmed that "strip quotes" is enabled, but it appears that the entire email message is being put into the comment which results in a failure.

Are there any other recommendations you might have?

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events