Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I track the same work in multiple Jira projects?

Bob I'm New Here Sep 01, 2022

We are an agile organization composed of many small teams.  Team 1 supports existing products.  Team 2 creates new products, while Team 3 creates custom projects.  Each team is working within an individual Jira project.  

Here is a common scenario.  Team 2 is working full pace on developing a new product when Team 1 runs into an issue with an existing product.  Team 1 requests support from a member with specialized knowledge from Team 2.  This support takes multiple days.  Team 2 is now short handed.

Team 1 has created a user story in Jira (in the Team 1 project) and assigned that story to the Team 2 member.  Team 2 has a couple of problems to overcome.  Problem 1 is - how do they gain visibility into the work being done by their team member who is working in another project.  (I am thinking scrum board visibility and the current sprint).  Problem 2 is how does Team 2 track that time?  We are currently using a "run the business" (RtB) solution and would like to have the user story in Team 1s project show up under "run the business" in Team 2s project or create a duplicate story for Team 2 RtB.  

FYI - for us, Run the Business is used to show that Bob has 6 storypoints dedicated to Team 2 this sprint, but was pulled off for RtB reasons for 3 of those 6 storypoints.

We regularly use a scrum board for daily work and a plan view for long term and sprint planning.  

I am open to suggestions that don't require changes to our being in individual projects or other hierarchical solutions.  In other words, these stories will always be stories and they will always be connected to features that exist in another (higher) project and each team will always be in their own Jira project.  I do not have an option to make those types of changes.   

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @Bob welcome to the community!

Since it looks like you are using an on-prem setup I don't know if you have access to Advanced Roadmaps with your server version. That would be the best way to track multiple projects in one place.

There is an awesome article written by a really cool guy a few years ago that may help with setting up a board to track your projects in your version: 

Managing Multiple Projects in a Single Board or…One Scrum to Rule Them All

Hope this helps!

Bob I'm New Here Sep 02, 2022

Thanks for the links.  We are using advanced roadmaps, but it is difficult to have an easy way to bring ONE story in from team 1s project (the one that is assigned to the Team 2 member) and have it be displayed in both the scrum board and the advanced roadmap as if it were native to our project, including tracking storypoints etc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events