How do I track Convert tickets

jamie tannenbaum April 3, 2018

In my shop, when a story closes the sprint bugs are converted to regular bugs, tasks.  I want to start tracking how many sprint bugs are getting converted vs. regression tickets.  Can Jira tell me that?  Is there a query I can run ?

3 answers

0 votes
Shady Makar October 21, 2022

Hi  - does the automation you created work for Sub-Task type converted to Task?

I was able to get your automation to work for Story to Task, but couldn't get it to work for Sub-task to Task.

Any thoughts?

0 votes
mschonarthatlassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2018

Hello, Jamie

I understood that you want to track which issues have been converted from Sprint bugs to regular bugs. Are the issue types actually different types (e.g.: SprintBug and Bug)?

If so, you can track them down by searching for something like:

Project = yourproject AND type CHANGED FROM “Sprint Bug" TO “Bug"

If that is not the case,  you could track the issues down by the sprint information that is still present on the tickets. 

Project = yourproject AND type = bug AND sprint = “My Sprint-1"

I tried this in my instance and it was working as expected. If none of that worked for you, please let me know and try to clarify better your scenario so I can further assist you.

Cheers!

jamie tannenbaum April 4, 2018

So In my sprint stories we have created a sub-task called "sprint bugs"  which as the name implies are defects that QA uncovers as part of story testing.  Our DOD says that in order for the story to close all tasks must be closed.  The Product owner can elect to close the story in lieu of the sprint bugs.

In this case we convert the sub-task-sprint-bug to a bug (defect), and either place that new bug in the backlog or schedule it for a future sprint.

I'm trying to see how many sprint bugs are getting converted to bugs from one sprint to another, vs. regular bugs that are being opened by QA.  

I tried your query above but got the error "History searches do not support the 'type' field."  I am running JIRA v6.4.9.  I noticed the changed works when I use other field types like status and assignee not just type / or "issuetype"

mschonarthatlassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hello, Jamie

I apologize for sending you that JQL query. I thought it was working but checking the documentation I could confirm that Changed is not support to the type field.

Thank you for clarifying your scenario better. By searching for ways to achieve your request I found an add-on that will enable you to track down the issues.

Automation for Jira is a third party add on which has a free and a paid version and it adds a bunch of automation features.

Before setting up the trigger, add a new label which will be used to filter the issues. Go to a issue and on Labels type in a name (e.g.: ChangedType) and select (New Label).

I recorded a video for you for you to show you how to set up the trigger. You should change “Story” and “Bug” to the corresponding issue types on your project. Note that after the trigger has been configured only the ticket with previous type “Story” had the label added to it.

This trigger will compare the last ({{fieldChange.fromString}}) and the new ({{fieldChange.toString}}) value of the issue type field and add the label depending on the values.

After this has been configured, you’ll be able to track down the issues by performing a simple JQL search like:

Project = my project AND labels = ChangedType

You can change this trigger’s configuration depending on your company’s needs. I’d recommend checking out the documentation for further information about Automation for Jira.

Please, if you had any trouble or if you have further questions be sure to get back at us.

Cheers!

Neetu Verma November 25, 2019

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. 

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2018

I don't understand your example. Could you try explaining it in different words?

Suggest an answer