Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I share a dashboard with an external user?

We use Jira Cloud to manage our digital projects within our Marketing Agency. One of our clients has asked us to share a dashboard with them for one of their projects in order for them to have real time updates on progress. I understand that I need to share the filters applied within the dashboard with this particular user as well.

We do not want them to have deeper access than the dashboard such as seeing specific details of tasks/stories/etc., reading comments, moving tasks through the workflow or adding/removing tasks. 

Do I need to add our client to our Jira instance with a license? I have researched permissions within our Jira but do not see a specific permission set that will limit our client to the dashboard and filter only. Or is there a way to share a Jira dashboard and filters to externally facing users?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Rachael_Deeley 

In order for your customer to see your Dashboard, they need access to Jira and yes you need to grant them access to the Application which will use one license/user if more than one.

Unfortunately there is no way to share your Dashboard. Like you said you can share a search filter results by email that's all you can do.

Best,

Fadoua

Fadoua Community Leader Dec 04, 2019

Thank you for accepting my answer @Rachael_Deeley !

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne Community Leader Dec 02, 2019

Hi Rachael

Unfortunately Jira is not able to achieve what you are trying to do.

Let me explain:

• The user accessing the dashboard would need a Jira license indeed (unless you make your Jira project, dashboards and filters available for anonymous users which is certainly not what you want
  • Next to that:
    In order to view an issue anywhere in Jira (in a dashboard, in search results, in a project, in filter results, ...) the user needs Browse projects permissions on the project the issue resides in.
    The caveat of this permission is the user will be able to access all the issue details, comments, ...

In short: there is no separate permission for viewing an issue on a dashboard or viewing an issue in a project.

You could think of a workaround like sending an email report in pdf regularly to that person or connecting a BI tool with Jira and make a dashboard of this BI tool available for that person.

Here is a related feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68499

0 votes

It is definitely not real-time, but exporting the dashboards to PDF and emailing those to your customers is another option.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,595 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you