How do I share a dashboard with an external user?

Rachael Maxam December 2, 2019

We use Jira Cloud to manage our digital projects within our Marketing Agency. One of our clients has asked us to share a dashboard with them for one of their projects in order for them to have real time updates on progress. I understand that I need to share the filters applied within the dashboard with this particular user as well.

We do not want them to have deeper access than the dashboard such as seeing specific details of tasks/stories/etc., reading comments, moving tasks through the workflow or adding/removing tasks. 

Do I need to add our client to our Jira instance with a license? I have researched permissions within our Jira but do not see a specific permission set that will limit our client to the dashboard and filter only. Or is there a way to share a Jira dashboard and filters to externally facing users?

5 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Hi Rachael

Unfortunately Jira is not able to achieve what you are trying to do.

Let me explain:

• The user accessing the dashboard would need a Jira license indeed (unless you make your Jira project, dashboards and filters available for anonymous users which is certainly not what you want
  • Next to that:
    In order to view an issue anywhere in Jira (in a dashboard, in search results, in a project, in filter results, ...) the user needs Browse projects permissions on the project the issue resides in.
    The caveat of this permission is the user will be able to access all the issue details, comments, ...

In short: there is no separate permission for viewing an issue on a dashboard or viewing an issue in a project.

You could think of a workaround like sending an email report in pdf regularly to that person or connecting a BI tool with Jira and make a dashboard of this BI tool available for that person.

Here is a related feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68499

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

@Rachael Maxam 

In order for your customer to see your Dashboard, they need access to Jira and yes you need to grant them access to the Application which will use one license/user if more than one.

Unfortunately there is no way to share your Dashboard. Like you said you can share a search filter results by email that's all you can do.

Best,

Fadoua

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2019

Thank you for accepting my answer @Rachael Maxam !

0 votes
Ivan Garcia _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 2, 2022

Hi @Rachael Maxam 

Unfortunately, Jira doesn't include any native feature to share dashboards externally. However, apps allow you to do it!

My company provides a solution called Dashboard Hub for Jira - Reports & Charts, which lets you easily share dashboards with external users with unique and secure links, like this one.

External Share email gif.gif

Also, it is possible to let users access dashboards from the Customer Portal.

Hope it helps :) Please know that it has a 30-day free trial.

Iván, Appfire

0 votes
Antonio Pericao September 22, 2022

You can use Confluence to create a space where you set up pages to convey the requested information to your client.  

Everytime we have a client with ongoing work, or has committed to using our pipelines of content creation, we create a Space (can be one page) where they are always kept updated on the work that relates to them.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2020

It is definitely not real-time, but exporting the dashboards to PDF and emailing those to your customers is another option.

Suggest an answer