How do I set up sections in Kanban backlog?

aliona.danilenko September 5, 2019

Hello,

Me and my teams are also trying to find out how it´s possible to set up the sections in Kanban set up for Jira. Something similar to what you can do with sprints in Scrum backlog.

For example, we need a section "ready for refinement" and "ready for planning" to visualize our flow of the tickets before they are selected to be worked on.

Examples of the "sections" are attached.

Are options that let that happen in Kanban set up?

Thanks in advance!InkedCapture_LI.jpgInkedCapture1.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2019

Hi @aliona.danilenko 

No I don't think that you can achieve what you're after, what @Ollie Guan shows above is only the first column on the Kanban board, but you wouldn't be able to have multiple "sections" in the backlog view.

The only way I could see you getting around this is to have 2 Kanban boards, where the first board has columns "Ready for Refinement", "Ready for Planning" and a column which is the first column on the next board. The next board will then have your standard columns / workflow. You would need to add the extra columns into the workflow.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

Correct. The common workaround/solution is multiple boards.

Like aliona.danilenko likes this
0 votes
Joachim Müller March 23, 2023

You could also work with labels "ready for refinement" and "ready for planning". Then make two quickfilters to just show the tickets with the labels respectively. Quickfilter also work for the backlog view.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

Hi @aliona.danilenko ,

Screenshot: sample Kanban backlog (with an issue selected), with Backlog and Selected for Development as board columns

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-your-kanban-backlog-856846180.html

TIM截图20190905173358.png

Suggest an answer