How do I see what my username is?

Deleted user October 11, 2018

In the activity stream widget on my dashboard it says I can filter by username, but I don't see that field anywhere in my profile. No matter what I put there it just comes back with a blank list

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2018

In the cloud product username is no longer displayed under the profile. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2018/06/say-goodbye-to-usernames-in-atlassian-cloud) You can still see it on server.  If you need a username to filter off of then you will just need to find a comment, project or issue where the user is listed. Easiest way is to create an issue filter and find the user that way.  Once you found the user you can hover over their name and in the url at the bottom of the browser you should see "name=THEUSERNAME" or "~THEUSERNAME".  Just use the username that you found in the URL and the filter will work.

Deleted user October 11, 2018

That works, thanks

Like ye win likes this
Akshay G S
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2019

After hovering over the name the url at the bottom doesn't have these formats "name=THEUSERNAME" or "~THEUSERNAME".

the format is "https://--------.atlassian.net/Viewprofile.jspa?accountid=$$$$$$"

Does "------" represent the username?

Phil W March 11, 2020

This isn't working for Jira Cloud as of March 2020.

Like # people like this
Francisco_Gutierrez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 27, 2020

It's May 2020 and this is broken.  I am using the "Activity Stream" in my custom Dashboard and I wanted to add a `Username` `is` filter to just get my own stream and the input for that does not have autocomplete.  The accepted answer no longer works

I did finally figure out a way though, but it's not simple. I had to open up the chrome devtools and inspect the XHR results of stream data that had my info it. I kept having to "load more" in my activity stream in the dashboard until I saw one of my recent activities pop up (I had a lot of other people's from my job showing up before I saw mine, you might not experience that)

I was able to finally see this

<usr:username>francisco</usr:username>

I would try just using a lowercased first name, if that doesn't work, do what I did. 

Very annoyed with Atlassian. Why did I have to jump through hoops to get this. 

Like # people like this
Tom Watson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 2, 2020

I would try your email address that you sign in to Jira with minus everything from @ forward.

Email: myname@gmail.com

Username: myname

This worked for me.

Like # people like this
Phil W July 3, 2020

Wow! Great find Tom.

I did this in my dashboard with the Activity Stream gadget, changing the filter to "Username" "is" "firstpartofemailaddress" and it started working!

Brilliant!

Cheers

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Joris Vleminckx July 28, 2020

I had to use my full work email address (with which I am registered in Jira) and it worked in the plugin that was requesting it.

O.G.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 13, 2020

@Francisco_Gutierrez great tip with the XHR stream, thank you! 

FYI, in case anyone is looking for the username for the "Automation for Jira" user (to filter it out from activity streams), it's: addon_com.codebarrel.addons.automation

Ellen Beentjes May 4, 2022

Do you know if we can filter on more than one user to search issues

Asher D November 28, 2022

@asherduben

3 votes
Peter Zhang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 30, 2020

Here is my 2 cents if people are still looking for username.

Step 1: add "Activity Stream" widget to dashboard without any filter.

Step 2: click the "Feed" icon to switch to feed view

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.55.39 PM.png

Step 3: search for word: username

You might find other people's username, but it is good enough for you to work out yours.

It will be in the same format. ie. xyz123 or xyz123@example.com

Btw, it took me two attempts in two separates nights and spent long time with our friend Google to reach above solution. It worked for me, hopefully it will save you some time.

Thanks

Toph (Chris Tyler)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 17, 2021

This worked for me!
I'll add, some usernames look like ug: followed by a bunch of hexadecimal numbers and dashes. Also you can search for `<usr:username>` to narrow it down to just the username tags.

Like Anatoly Spiridonov likes this
Asher D November 28, 2022
Anatoly Spiridonov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 28, 2024

Worked like charm 

2 votes
Tim Graham November 11, 2019

I cannot use these instructions for the Cloud version. When I hover over, the accountId is a 25 character UID string, not a user-facing username. I tried entering the string in the filter field, but it did not work. Maybe an update was committed in the last year that changed the url link?

Tim Graham November 11, 2019

Quick update - Apparently the UID string is the accountId implemented to accommodate GDPR. I opened ticket JST-528217 for a very specific use case.

Phil W March 11, 2020

So the question remains - how can I create an activity filter that matches my "username" when the UID doesn't work?

Like Arslan Sajid likes this
1 vote
Josh Fremer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2020

None of the suggestions on this page work for me to get the "Activity Stream" widget working.  On my own company's Jira instance, the widget is working with "josh" (the part of the email to the left of the @ ) as the username.  On another company's Jira instance, that doesn't work.

1 vote
Yaroslav Vavrysh January 3, 2020

After opening huge number of links I must say here: it is really awful that finding usernames is so difficult. Looks like developers wanted to joke in such way. Is it a quest? Or another play?

After spending plenty of time I ended up with nothing. It is really awful and frustrating. I can find any developing relating question just in few minutes. It is just username!

Pere_Cortada
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 4, 2020

Hi @Yaroslav Vavrysh ,

it took me forever to make a REST API work, but the basic auth does not use the old username and password, following the answer from https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-REST-API-Username/qaq-p/1161116 it worked for me with email and API Token instead:

IE:

curl -u <email>:<token> https://<account>.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/<issue>

The API token has to be generated, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/api-tokens-938839638.html

Edit: forgot a "not" and that was making my statement confusing 

Like # people like this
Michael Maliska April 30, 2020

I am having a lot of trouble with getting our API working.
I have an API token, but when I try curl or postman or python using my email token I get the following error:
{"errorMessages":["Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it."],"errors":{}}

Any help would be great, I seem to be getting nowhere with all other suggestions on other posts.

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2020

Hi all - Cound someone please confirm if the username is indeed the username of the email (qweasd IN qweasd@rtyfgh.uio)? I would like create filters or get issues by reporter or assignee and use the username instead of acc Id. Please advise?

Phil W September 2, 2020

Please see my comment, above, from 29th July where I expanded on what Tom originally found, and have provided a screenshot of setting up the activity stream component. It may be that there are other places which won't work using this value - see @Daniel Stefaniak's comment from 29th July to which I responded.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2020

Thanks @Phil Weighill-Smith ... I did have a look at the comments. I wonder if it is a reliable and exact usage in place of acc id. If not, I might not use it ... but just needed to make sure of that. I used it for my user and a few others and seems to work.

It is not documented or deep in the docco - hence I commented here on it too.

Daniel Stefaniak September 7, 2020

Hey @Yatish Madhav - If you only need it for the use of filters, I would recomend a workaround.

In your Jira search query, make sure you are in the Baisc mode (as oposed to JQL). Then select any regular "user field" such as "Assignee" or "Reporter". In the dropdown list select any users that you wish to add to your custom filter.
After that just click "Switch to JQL" and you should see the previously selected users represented by 'JQL values' (not sure how to call it). You know, some string or an actual name etc. The thing is - regardless of how it looks - it is what you need and you can copy & paste it to other filters.

Alternativaly you can check users one by one to not mix up the users' Display Names with their representations in JQL.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

0 votes
Daniel Stefaniak July 23, 2020

Still cannot find this on Jira Cloud, in July 2020. I've found this 2018 article on the Atlassian blog:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2018/06/say-goodbye-to-usernames-in-atlassian-cloud

Say goodbye to usernames in Atlassian Cloud. Feelsbad.

Joris Vleminckx July 28, 2020

Try the email address with which you are subscribed in Google Cloud.

Phil W July 28, 2020

(Specifically the part before the "@" as explained by Tom Watson on Jul 02, 2020)

Daniel Stefaniak July 29, 2020

Hello, thanks for the good will folks. I didn't write to get any help. After I've searched the forum and confluence, and eventually found the article, I just thought I'll share it so future me-like newbies could skip the searching part :)
But hey, I never reject the helping hand!

I've tried just now, what you've suggested and neither the full e-mail address, nor just the part before "@" works for me. Here's a new thought: perhaps the issue lays in the "where" and not "what".

I'm trying to use the username value in an Atlassian dashboard gadget called "Activity Stream" to filter out my own activities.
I've tested various inputs in the box that is supposed to support username but regardless of what I write there - the gadget goes blank (no results) after saving the settings.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Phil W July 29, 2020

Hi Daniel,

This is exactly what I wanted to use this for too. In defining my dashboard with the activity stream component I did the following:

jira-activity-stream.png

The value is the first part of the email address for my account that I login with. So if my address was "phil.w@mycompany.com" then the value is "phil.w".

Like Daniel Stefaniak likes this
Daniel Stefaniak July 29, 2020

Hey, it works! I've just tried it on a user I have not tried it before and it worked. Still does not work with me and one other user - apparently I don't remember my own e-mail :)

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll have to handle the rest myself.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events