How do I see all issues for a project?

Angela Pingram January 17, 2019

I want to see all the issues raised for a project but I can't see a standard filter for that. I also want my customers to be able to filter for all issues on the project without requiring them to learn JQL. 

2 answers

2 votes
Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2019

Hello @Angela Pingram

there is a predefined filter in JIRA to show exactly what you need. See below:

allissues.png

Best regards,

Jakub 

Angela Pingram January 21, 2019

I selected that option when I was on the page showing just the open issues for a specific project.  Oddly, it displays all issues from all projects. I was expecting just all issues for the project I was already looking at.

Doing a bit more investigation, I think this is a bug because it depends on whether I an using the basic search or advanced search.

If I am looking at open issues for a project with the basic search and select the all issues option then I see all issues for the specific project.  As expected.

If I am looking at open issues for a project with the advanced search and select the all issues option then I see all issues for all projects.  Not expected.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2019

@Angela Pingram, where do you want to do this and are you on Cloud or Server? If you go to the project page the sidebar should afford you the option to see all issues. If you go to search for issues you can simply select the project alone and leave all other filter options alone or in advanced search simply enter project = your project.

regarding your question on “customers” do these customers have application access? If not they cannot see the issues. To be clear are we talking Jira or Jira Service Desk?

Hi,

I don't know if I'm on Cloud or Server.  Should that matter? There shouldn't be different issues returned for a search done on cloud and server.

Of course customers have been set up with access. My requirement was that the don't have to learn SQL/JQL to alter what they are looking at. I just need them to fix the bugs I raise against their products.

This is "public facing" Jira (registered users from TOCs and TOC suppliers).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

Cloud and server matter only from how you accomplish things as they are different code bases resulting in differences in the UI among other things.

if your URL is something like xxx.atlassian.net then you are on cloud. 

I will answer for cloud as that is what I’m familiar with but if you are on server you should be able to figure out from this assuming that server is similar.

In the project you should see a sidebar and in the sidebar a menu item “Issues and filters” once opened you should see a number of filters including “Open Issues”.

if you are not seeing this please provide some screenshots of what you are looking at.

Finally, if it were me I would likely offer my ‘customers’ a dashboard that presents the data in a manner that allows them to manage their work. In case this is of interest please see this article - configuring-dashboards

I am on Cloud then. Thanks.  So it's really a different product. If I see/ do something such as set up a dashboard for Cloud Jiras for a customer and my customer is on server then it may look/ act different?  

I can see the option for all issues. 

I selected the option called All Issues when I was on a page showing just the open issues for a specific project.  It displays all issues from all projects. I was expecting just all issues for the project I was already looking at.

Doing a bit more investigation, I think this is a bug because it depends on whether I am using the basic search or advanced search.

If I am looking at open issues for a project with the basic search and select the all issues option then I see all issues for the specific project.  As expected.

If I am looking at open issues for a project with the advanced search and select the all issues option then I see all issues for all projects.  Not as expected.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

So if you are on a project page and select one of the project filters it will limit to the issues for that project. If you are searching at the ‘instance’ level then you need to imply the project or it will give all.

in advanced search you typically express the project(s) you are interested in, e.g.

projects in (abc, def, xyz) and Resolution is empty 

Angela Pingram January 22, 2019

I was in the project. I just changed from basic to advanced search while I was in the project.  Why would Jira take me out of the project just because I toggled between basis and advanced?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2019

this does not happen for me on Cloud. Here is what i see. maybe you are navigating thru different screens? when you say you are "in the project" can you explain or provide your screenshots similar to mine below?

At the project level I click on All issues...

step1.jpg

I then click on the Advance search and see this...

step2.jpg

Hi Jack,

I can't show you the screenshots of what happened as I've created an SQL query for all issues for the project ( altered the all issues query to be for the specific project).

Jira would be a lot more user-friendly if it didn't require people to learn SQL to be able to filter.

Thanks for helping.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2019

Just a point of clarification Jira provides the ability to create advanced queries using "JQL" not SQL and you don't need to learn JQL at all but it is extremely useful. You can mostly get what you want using the Basic filter search. Regardless, and more importantly, back to your question. I don't understand your last comment about creating a 'JQL' query. I thought you were operating from the project view as is depicted in my screenshots but now it seems you are not on the project view at all but rather we are talking about creating a filter from the Search screen. Is that the case?

ugh.jpg

If that is the case then let's reset and please walk me thru what you are doing. 

ok. Yes, my question was about changing between basic and advanced search for a project.  I don't have time to explore this any further.  Spent too much time already and don't have a code to book to for the time.  I've built a query that limits all issues to the project I wanted so let's leave it at that.

Suggest an answer