How do I restore an epic to the epic panel once it's marked as "Done"?

Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with epics

Two cases in which I need this ability:

1. An epic is accidentally marked as Done.
  2. An epic is reopened.

Thanks for any help!

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Storn White
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2018

Those docs have changed....  here's the answer:

You will need to change the Epic Status field from Done to In Progress.  Here's how I was able to do it without being some kind of Jira wizard:

1. Visit Reports by clicking on the Reports icon.  (Should be in the left margin if you are in the backlog view.
  2. At the top of the Report page, switch to the Epic Report.
  3. Near the top of the page, you should be able to switch between epics, including old, closed epics.  Switch to your closed epic.
  4. You'll see the identifier for the epic, linked to the issue page for the epic.  Open it.
  5. Look for the Admin pulldown menu at near the top of the page.  Select 'Add Field'
  6. Choose the existing Epic Status field.
  7. The Epic Status field should appear, with status = Done
  8. Change the status to In Progress
  9. Return to the backlog page.  You should see your epic listed!!
Maria Kleiman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 8, 2019

Thank you!

Todd_Mountain October 2, 2019

Thanks for this information! I did this but then had to figure out how to remove the field once I edited the EPIC Status. I went to my view issue screen and removed the field again from field configuration

Like Michael Salazar likes this
Galab Venkin _PM_ February 17, 2020

You are the best. Thanks!!!

Michael Salazar March 2, 2021

@Todd_Mountain nice move! Thanks, it helped a lot!

0 votes
Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

Whoops! The answer is hidden under the "Tips" section of the Working with epics page above.

Suggest an answer