How do I provide permission for anyone to add projects into a dashboard filter ?

Andy Thompson November 10, 2017

I want to provide a shared Dashboard for all developers. but when i change the Filter Query for the board I only get the option to 'saves as' a different board name than the one I am changing ?

Is this something I should be doing or is there a better way ?

1 answer

1 vote
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2017

Dear Andy,

You are trying to change a Shared Filter that you are not the owner of, this is why the ''Save As'' button appears. JIRA will not let you overwrite the filter of a different user. If you want to change the filter itself, you need to become owner of the filter.

Updating a filter

You can update the name, description, sharing, favorite of any filters that you have created. If you want to edit a filter that was shared with you, either clone (aka copy) the shared filter, or ask your Jira administrator to change the filter's ownership.

Update the filter's details:

1. Click the My tab on the 'Filters' page.
  2. Locate the filter you wish to update, click more () > Edit.
  3. The Edit Current Filter page displays, where you can update the filter details as required.
  4. Click Save to save your changes.

Update the filter's search criteria:

1. Click the My tab on the 'Filters' page.
  2. Locate the filter you want to update and run it.
  3. Update the search criteria as desired, and rerun the query to ensure the update is valid. You will see the word Edited displayed next to your filter name.
  4. Click Save to overwrite the current filter with the updated search criteria. If you want to discard your changes instead, click the arrow next to the save button, and select Discard changes.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Andy Thompson November 10, 2017

Hi Jeremy 

thanks for your prompt reply.  

Ideally we want to have one board showing all work but don't want to afford a dedicated Jira adminstrator.  At this moment as a small team we are not too worried about permissions.

Maybe we need to create a single project for our  Dev Team and then put what we current know as projects into Epics.

kind regards 

Andy Thompson

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2017

keep in mind that whatever you do you will have owners for filters used on the dashboard and the dashboard itself. Only the owner(s) can make changes. you don't need to be an admin to create/own a dashboard.

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2017

Dear @Andy Thompson,

Well.. you do not even have to put everything in one single project. You can show multiple projects on a single board, so all of their issues on one board.. if you would want that.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Suggest an answer