How do I move an issue to a different project with a different type board?

Austin Keith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2018

My original project was a Business project that started from a Process Management shell. I created a new Software Kanban project and now I want to clone and move my issues to the new project. I am able to clone the issues and move them, but they do not show up on the board of the new project. However, when I go into the board setting and look at the columns, it says there is an issue in my "In Progress" status. When I look at the issues in the new project, I can find the issue that was moved over, but when I click on View on Board, it tells me that there are no boards that contain this issue. I've looked into 'how to move an issue' and I follow the steps, but it does not work. kanban board.PNGboard settings.PNGgo to board.PNGWhat to do?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

The Jira Core boards always show you the issues in that project.  There is not means to configure / refine what issues you see there.

But with a Jira Software board (scrum or kanban), the issues that appear on these boards are controlled by the board filter.  Configuring Filters explains this more.  If you click over to the board settings and select the General section you can see what filter is in use here.   You can even click the edit filter query.  Try that.  It will take you to the Issue navigator in Jira with that filter loaded.  From there I would be interested to see if you can find the 2 issues in that status.

If you can, then the filter is probably correct.   There are other possible reasons why you might not be seeing it on a kanban board.  The first possibility is that there the Kanban boards use a subfilter as well.  These are typically used to make sure that the board does not show released issues or issues that have a fixVersion defined.  But you could have customized that subfilter to hide other elements.  So you might have to look closely at your subfilter and those issues details to see if those two issues match that criteria.  If that do, that is the most likely explanation of what is happening here.   Check out Adding a sub-filter for kanban boards for more info.

My other thought is that it is possible that you might be use an issue security scheme that could hide issues from users in specific security roles, but if you just cloned those issues from another project and they did not have this, that seems unlikely. 

Suggest an answer