How do I move an epic to a story during a Sprint?

Sapna Satagopan April 26, 2021

Hi all,

I am working to re-do a team scrum project. While we had Epics setup earlier to reflect 'areas of work', we are now reworking epics to be more strategic and aligned to their true purpose (a large body of work that can be broken down as stories) However, we currently have a sprint running with some of those epics/tasks---can I change an epic into a story during a Sprint? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Hello @Sapna Satagopan 

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Team Managed project

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

An Epic is not typically assigned to a sprint, rather the child issues in the Epic are assigned to the sprint.

Are you trying to retain the relationship between the Epic and its child stories during this change?

Yes.  The tasks that are in the sprint are part of the Epic that I am trying to move/delete in my reorganization. Am I able to re-assign the task to a new Epic while an sprint is ongoing?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

Yes, you can move an issue from one Epic to another while the issues is in an active sprint.

Kevin Swihart October 3, 2023

How?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2023

@Kevin Swihart 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The original post is over 2 years old. Please start a new Question in the forum and provide all the information relevant to your environment and the problem you are trying to solve.

If you think this 2 year old post is somehow relevant to your scenario, you can include in your new post a link to it and explain its relevance.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events