Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I move a task to "In Progress" on a Kaban Board?

I am trying to move a TASK into the "In Progress" column on a department Kaban board however I only seem to be able to move it to the "DONE" column. I get an error message saying "something isn't letting you move TASK-123 to "In Progress" Please contact your administrator. I can move a Story into the "In Progress" column.

This is obviously a setting issue but my administrator also doesnt know what to do either. Can some please explain how we can allow Task to be moved into the "In Progress" and "Blocked" columns?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @a.harris 

Welcome to the community.

The probable cause would be in the Workflow assigned to the Task issue type. It is likely that either there is a Condition included in the transition between the starting Status and the In Progress status that is preventing the change.

If this is a Company Managed project (it will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left) then you will required the help of a Jira Administrator to review the workflow to see if a Condition is blocking the change. 

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your answer.

It is indeed a Company Managed project. By JIRA administrator do you mean someone at JIRA or the administrator of the board?

Hello @a.harris 

There are levels of administration permissions in Jira. 

Board Administrator - administrator of an agile board

Project Administrator - administrator of a project

Jira Administrator - administrator for the Jira product

There are additional Administration roles above that, but those are not relevant to this question.

All of these are roles fulfilled by people within your organization, not by people at Atlassian.

Neither the Board Administrator nor the Project Administrator have permission to view the details of the Transitions between Statuses, nor make changes to the workflow. Only a Jira Administrator will be able to do that.

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Okay understood, so how do I find out who the JIRA Administrator is?

Unfortunately there is not a function in Jira to give you that information.

Talk to your manager, or your company IT organization. The people/department that are responsible for giving users access to your Jira instance will be able to figure out who the Jira Administrators are.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events