How do I map a field in a csv file that contains a URL to the Attachments field

Virginia Horrocks November 24, 2019

How do I map a field in a csv file that contains a URL to the Attachments field in Jira Software when importing.  The Attachments field does not appear to be available for mapping in Jira Software

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2019

Hello @Virginia Horrocks ,

When importing attachments using the CSV import method, the most important part to focus on is that the URL where the image is being hosted needs to be anonymously accessible, i.e. it cannot be behind an authentication prompt.  And when hosting the attachments on a Jira Server this us usually the case.

So the options to open up the URL would be to either host the attachment in an alternate public location, or open up the Server for Anonymous access.

Some additional details on importing Attachments via CSV can be seen int his KB "Importing attachments into JIRA Cloud applications using CSV files" And the CSV import documentation "Importing data from CSV" under the section Importing attachments.

Regards,
Earl

Amber_Sparkles April 29, 2020

This does not answer the question though....

I have the same issue - following all directions, however the "attachments' field is not available for mapping - so it is left at Do not Map this field.... what are we missing??

aarthi kumar June 15, 2021

Hi,

I am facing the exact same issue, can you let me know the resolution if you have found any? What Jira field should the attachment field in csv be mapped to?

Swan Desportes February 14, 2022

Hello. I'm having the same issue. Any answer from Atlassian ?

Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2022

To map the attachments you'll have to use the import functionality from the External System Import screen (<baseurl>/secure/admin/ExternalImport1.jspa).

If you select Import issues from CSV from the Issues dropdown menu you'll have a limited version of the import screen fields such as attachments and comments cannot be linked from this screen.

To import attachments from a remote Jira you also have 2 options:
1. Make the project / issues from the remote Jira public.
2. Modify the CSV file to include credentials in the attachment URL.

For example

Old

18/Mar/22 11:39 AM;admin;instructions.pdf;http://ub2:8080/secure/attachment/10100/instructions.pdf

New

18/Mar/22 11:39 AM;admin;instructions.pdf;http://admin:password123@ub2:8080/secure/attachment/10100/instructions.pdf

Kamelia Sadeghi July 18, 2023

Did anyone figure out, or got an answer as to which field to map attachments to?

Suggest an answer