• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I make "resolution status" NOT required?

Hello,

New Atlassian User just trying to get a grasp of things. I've been reading over https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/specifying-field-behavior-861253403.html to understand how to edit fields and field configurations better. 

It specifically says under editing a field that I should have the option to make any field required or not, however in my Jira Fields view for "Resolution" I only see "edit, hide, screens". If I go into Edit, it just allows me to change the description.

Am I missing something? Am I not on the right screen?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Jun 03, 2019

Okay, so lets see if this answers your question. Resolution is one of the default fields in Jira and is always a required field and has the value Unresolved until you set it to something else.

You cannot make it an optional field, there are built-in functionality in Jira that uses this field, so to make it "optional", do not add it to a screen besides the view one, and use post functions in your workflow to set it.

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader May 31, 2019

The way to make the resolution field optional is to not add it to a screen, you cannot set it to optional/required from the field configuration. I would recommend to instead of adding it to a screen, use post functions in the workflow to set the resolution.

To my understanding I thought all fields had to belong to a screen in order to show up? 

Is there a way to just add any field to something without applying it to a screen?
Would this then need to be added manually every time a new item was created?

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Jun 03, 2019

Yes, a field has to be on a screen if you want the user to add values to it. You could use a post function to set a field value and then just have it on the view screen without allowing the user to edit it. 

Resolution is a bit different, if you add it to a edit screen, it will become a required field. In my environment I only show resolution on the view screen and set the values with a post function.

Alright that's good to know. Though I still don't think it answers my question, it's a good idea to have moving forward. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

225 views 1 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you