How do I make "resolution status" NOT required?

AJ Palmer May 31, 2019

Hello,

New Atlassian User just trying to get a grasp of things. I've been reading over https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/specifying-field-behavior-861253403.html to understand how to edit fields and field configurations better. 

It specifically says under editing a field that I should have the option to make any field required or not, however in my Jira Fields view for "Resolution" I only see "edit, hide, screens". If I go into Edit, it just allows me to change the description.

Am I missing something? Am I not on the right screen?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2019

Okay, so lets see if this answers your question. Resolution is one of the default fields in Jira and is always a required field and has the value Unresolved until you set it to something else.

You cannot make it an optional field, there are built-in functionality in Jira that uses this field, so to make it "optional", do not add it to a screen besides the view one, and use post functions in your workflow to set it.

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

The way to make the resolution field optional is to not add it to a screen, you cannot set it to optional/required from the field configuration. I would recommend to instead of adding it to a screen, use post functions in the workflow to set the resolution.

AJ Palmer June 3, 2019

To my understanding I thought all fields had to belong to a screen in order to show up? 

Is there a way to just add any field to something without applying it to a screen?
Would this then need to be added manually every time a new item was created?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2019

Yes, a field has to be on a screen if you want the user to add values to it. You could use a post function to set a field value and then just have it on the view screen without allowing the user to edit it. 

Resolution is a bit different, if you add it to a edit screen, it will become a required field. In my environment I only show resolution on the view screen and set the values with a post function.

AJ Palmer June 3, 2019

Alright that's good to know. Though I still don't think it answers my question, it's a good idea to have moving forward. 

Hendrik Scheider October 9, 2023

I am left with the same open question, while not contesting the accepted resolution:

• Jira documentation states that required fields must be added (at least) to the creation screen
  • `resolution` is required (always, I learned, but ok)
  • ergo: resolution must appear on the creation screen

Not having a field, that's required for a particular issue type, configured at least in the creation screen should lead to an error, should it not ?

Unless, due its special nature, Jira will set it to the value "unresolved" regardless whether the field has been configured in the creation screen or not.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2023

Hi @Hendrik Scheider,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

This should be it's own question and then just reference this one.

The resolution field is a special one, it will only be required if you add it to a screen. So if you add it to the create screen you will have to set it to a value, but that would also mean that Jira would consider the issue as resolved as soon as you create it. It is not recommended to add the resolution to a screen until you have resolved the issue. You can learn more about the best practices regarding resolutions in this KB.

Like Hendrik Scheider likes this

Suggest an answer