How do I make issues visible on a Kanban board?

I have one Project set up. In this one project, I have two boards (one board for each team). One team does development work and will use a scrum board and one team does maintenance and that will use a Kanban board. How do I make issues for the maintenance team visible on the Kanban board? Right now, when I create an issue, it shows up in the backlog of scrum board for the development team.

4 answers

Hi Bridgette,

If your issues show up in the issue navigator when using the same filter there are three things that could potentially hide them in the board:

• Quick filter - make sure you have no enabled quick filters in the board
  • Column configuration - If there are unmapped workflow steps in your board. This does not seem to be the problem in your case, so ...
  • The Board Sub-filter is hiding the issues. The subfilter (found at the bottom of the Board/Configuration) is an extra filter that you can apply within the board. It is normally used to hide issues that are released to a FixVersion. It looks something like "fixversion in unreleasedversion() OR fixversion is EMPTY" If you have issues beloning to a released fixversion they will be eclipsed by this default sub-filter. Try to remove the sub-filter and see if your issues re-appear.

If that is the case and you don't work with the release functionality in JIRA you can leave the sub-filter empty. You can read more about this here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/jYRPFw

Cheers,

// Svante

Oof.

I had the same issue. The subfilter solved it, but that is a sneaky one!

Thanks this helped me.

subfilter got me too. cool feature but very sneaky.

I found another configuration that hides issues. My query searches for all epics in the project. When the swimlanes are set to epic also, nothing is shown. Setting the swimlanes to "no swimlanes" showed all the epics.

Yeah, this got me too!  I just checked, rechecked and double checked everything.  My problem was the swim lanes.  Sorting by a different level hid the ticket I was looking for.  Once that was aligned, it all worked out!

SUB FILTER ..... Very sneaky JIRA! Thanks for this answer, though. Saved me!

Chris I'm New Here Jan 28, 2018

The sub-filter got me too. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 vote

You can configure the filters of both the boards to show only the appropriate issues in each board. In your case, check the filter query of the Kanban board to see if it filters out that issue.

Hi Bridgette,

It is all about the filters you apply to the two boards.

E.g. if the teams are using different issue types you can create the filters to catch the correct issue types for each board.

If they are using the same issue type you will need some other way to distinguish the tickets. maybe a custom field showing if it is a maintenance ticket or a development ticket.

This page describes how filters work: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+FiltersThe filter used by each board is found under the board config.

Also check out this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+a+BoardIt describes well how to configure your boards.

Cheers,

// Svante

Each team will use the same issue type, so I thought I would use labels to distinguish the tickets. But, when I click on the Quick Filter that I set up, the query is not picking up on the label. Is there a better way?

Labels are case-sensitive. Double check that your filter query and labels match case.

Hi Ted! Thanks! I checked the case. It matches. Unfortunately, my issues are still hidden on my kanban board. I can see that I have two issues when I configure my board, but when I view my board the issues are hidden. Do you have any other suggestions of what I can check to see why my issues are hidden?

On the board configuration screen, click on the "columns" link. Check to see if the issue status is mapped to a column. It will show youi if there are any unmapped statuses.

My two issues are mapped to my BACKLOG column. Please see screenshot.

The only other option I can think of is to go to the issue filter, and run it from the filter page. If no issues show up, it is because the filter has a mistake somewhere (include the quick filter params in the test). If they show up in filter, I have no ideas.

Ted I really appreciate your help. When I run it from the filter page, the filter shows up. My core problem is that I have one project and I need two different boards to represent my dev team and the other board will be for my operations team. My dev team has a scrum board and my operations team has a kanban board. When I add an issue (task) that is intended for my kanban board it shows up on the scrum board once the sprint is active however it stays hidden on the kanban board. If you could offer any suggestions on the proper way to get these two boards set up, that would be a HUGE help. I just want to start over and recreate my boards. Any thoughts?

Hi Bridgette. I have the same set up on my boards, and they work with no issues. Without being able to see the exact set up, I don't know what it wrong, since the Kanban filter returns issues, and they statuses are mapped to columns. I would suggest filing a support ticket and having one of Atlassian's support engineers take a look, they will be able to solve the issue quickly.

I am experiencing the same issue with a new board I've created. There are 2 items supposed to be showing (as indicated in the status mapping page) but they do now appear when viewing the board. What was the fix for this? I'm sure its something small.

Same issue for me. I created a Kanban board and it shows an issue count in each of the columns but with a message at the bottom "No Issues are currently visible." So the filter is correct, just not showing the issues

Here's a nasty end-case I've recently solved:

I have a Kanban board attached to a filter whose query includes specific labels.

I've set my board's swimlanes to be based on Epic, and wound up with nothing but the default "Issues without epics" swimlane.

As it had turned out, issues having suitable labels didn't show in case their associated Epics didn't have the labels as well. I added the proper label to Epics - expected issues started showing on the board.

That's not a "nasty" end-case.  You just got your filter wrong.

I beg to differ! The filter worked perfectly - all issues were available as part of the query result as expected; Nevertheless, they just didn't show on the board simply because the epics didn't have the label. This coupling isn't trivial.

That's simply not how it works.  What you have described is an incorrect filter hiding things.

Could be version-dependent.

In any case, It doesn't matter as long as this helps others who "would not" stumble upon the same use case in the future - and it will.

No, it won't help anyone, because it's wrong.

The problem was that your filters were wrong, or at least that you did not understand them.

I have nothing to add in regards, besides the fact that I find the way you handle submissions unprofessional and inappropriate.

A pro would have asked me for filter details, JIRA version, etc. - and, in the very least, a description of how it does work (response to "that's simply not how it works"); This isn't the case here, just a shallow "you are wrong". Quite disappointed.

I sure hope things improve around here, or this community would be rendered scarce.

I'm not "handling a submission", I'm an end user pointing out that a new answer on an old question is wrong.

I apologise for my initial response seeming terse, it was intended to be short and simple, but I did not make the effort to explain that better.  I wanted to quickly and cleanly make the point that what you had written was based on a misunderstanding, and was the wrong answer.

There was no need to follow it up with any questions, because I didn't need any more information to understand that you did not understand how it works.  I should also have explicitly pointed out that the previous answers here explain how it works correctly, and that you should have read them, rather than expect me to repeat the explanation.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Friday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

51 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot