How do I make a field required for Jira Project?

Michelle Chu May 12, 2021

Hello! When a user creates a new story or task, I want to make it mandatory for that story / task to be assigned to an epic (and initiative). How can I do this?

I found this documentation: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/specify-field-behavior/

Unfortunately, I went in circles trying to edit the field (and was not given the option to configure them).

Please let me know if you need more details about my question. Thanks in advance! 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Is this for a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Do you want it required for all projects or selected projects?

Do you want it required for all issue types or selected issue types?

For a Company Managed project you could edit the Create transition in the worrkflow to include a Validator to require the fields to be filled in.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.25.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.26.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.27.18 PM.png

Michelle Chu May 13, 2021

This is for a Company Managed project, mandatory for 1 project (not across all fields). Haven't decided if I want all issue types yet. 

I'll try your instructions above, thank you!

Michelle Chu May 13, 2021

This worked; however, I would like to customize the issue types so that they are not mandatory across all issues. Any thoughts here?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

To apply this to specific issue types you will have to create additional workflows so that you have a workflow where this validation is used and a workflow where it is not used.

Workflows are grouped into Workflow Schemes and within those schemes you can assign different workflows to different issue types as well as having a workflow that is used by default for any issue type that has not been explicitly linked to a workflow in the scheme.

After setting up the Workflow Scheme so that there is a default workflow set, and then association between specific issue types and the other workflow, you can then assign the Workflow Scheme to the project.

Like Michelle Chu likes this
Renato Lima June 13, 2022

How to achieve the same for a Team Managed project?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2022

@Renato Lima 

Since this post has been marked as Answer Accepted I recommend you start a new post and describe your use case.

Also an internet search for "jira next gen required fields" will give you links to several posts where that topic has already been discussed.

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2021

Hi Michelle,

This video explains step by step what you need to do for the field configurations if you want the customfield to be mandatory at all times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Lb1T4liGw&t

Regards.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2021

Note that the video does not apply to all fields.

If you are referencing built in fields that are also Locked, like Epic Link, the video does not apply.

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2021

@Trudy ClaspillThanks for the clarification.  I missed the the part about the Epic Field.  The validator in the workflow way is the only way then. However, if you want to ensure that it's always required, you have to set it for all transitions.  

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer