How do I know if progress is going well based on a burndown or burnup chart?

Jose Barrera April 7, 2023

How do I know if progress is going well based on a burndown or burnup chart?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Jose Barrera welcome to the Atlassian community.

Instead of typing a lengthy answer, I'm redirecting you these official links, "Understanding the burndown chart" and "Understand the burnup chart" to give a complete read on the charts.

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Jose Barrera 

What does "progress is going well" mean to you, your team, and your stakeholders?  I recommend defining that, and then checking in with the people to evaluate progress.  Perhaps also check with your team's coaches for input.

The Atlassian interpretations of burndown and burnup charts (as well as other interpretations and reporting) can be "gamed", and may not indicate value delivery or progress toward goals.  Instead they are just tools to make things visible, so please consider what they mean for your team's situation.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jose Barrera April 8, 2023

Good question Bill, thanks for your feedback. I will get with my team to see how we define that. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer