How do I import subtasks

Chuck March 1, 2021

I am trying to import tasks and subtasks but the subtasks fail validation.

I am mapping the Parent ID to Parent ID

I have tried mapping Issue ID to Issue ID as well as to External Issue ID.

The value in the Parent ID column is in the Issue ID column but I get a message reading "

• Subtask xyz doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.

The values look like this

Issue ID     Parent ID

11              10

12"             10

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chuck March 2, 2021

I was using the import control in the Filters section of Jira.  It turns out that that control does support creation of Sub-tasks.  I had to go to the import control in the admin portion  of the app.  Admin -> Jira -> External System Import

Using the same CSV and config file I was able to successfully create the tasks with sub-tasks.

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hello @Chuck 

Do you also have Issue Type as a column for the import data? And what issues types are applied in your example above?

When importing, you should map the Issue ID column to the Issue ID field, AND map your Parent ID column to the Parent ID field.

You must also make sure that the value in the Issue ID column is unique and has not been used in a previous import attempt. I'm not sure exactly how or why, but JIRA seems to remember the Issue ID values used in previous/recent import attempts and does not like it when they are reused. If you have tried the import multiple times and the Issue ID values have not been changed, that could be causing a problem. Try adding 100 or 1000 to all the values, and retry the import with the Issue ID and Parent ID columns mapped.

Chuck March 2, 2021

Thanks Trudy.  I did find a resolution and am about to post it.

Amal - Seibert Solutions December 17, 2021

Hi @Chuck , 

did you post it yet? :)

Thanks, 
Amal

Suggest an answer