Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I identify my role in Jira?

Hi Team,
While I've been told that I've been given admin access on Jira.
I cannot see that information on my profile page.
Also, I can't do any admin tasks like adding- removing: members & issues!
Please suggest

2 answers

1 vote
John M Funk Community Leader May 24, 2022

Hi Shubha - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you click on the gear icon on the top right (Settings) you should see a list of options available. 

If you see User Management, then you have Site Administration permissions.

If you see the System option, then you are a Jira Administrator. 

While on a project, if you see the Project Settings option at the bottom of the left menu, then you are a Project Administrator for that project. 

For any of these items that you do not see, you do not have those permissions. 

screenshot.png

FWIW, the cog icon gets hidden if you don't have any admin permissions anywhere.  It appears if your account has any one of the permissions John lists - site, Jira admin or even just project admin for a single project.

Like John M Funk likes this
0 votes

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Admin access to Jira could be of many different things, but there's no single flag you could put on a profile to identity it.  Whomever gave you admin rights may have given you

• Project admin in a project (this is done by the permission scheme in each project)
  • Site admin lets you maintain users for the applications that make up your Cloud site
  • Jira admin is done with a global permission in admin -> global permissions, and is a flag that lets you administrate Jira (this should really only be granted to your dedicated Jira admins, most Jira users should not have it, because they generally don't know how to make admin changes without affecting the whole system, breaking other people's stuff)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,423 views 37 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you