How do I have my admin make me an admin? Or transfer project ownership to myself?

danielgroup96 May 24, 2023

Subject: Request for Advice on Gaining Full Admin Rights and Project Ownership in JIRA

Hello JIRA Community,

I'm in a situation where I need to have complete control over a particular project on JIRA, specifically the ability to add and remove users. From what I understand, this seems to require admin access, potentially even master admin access.

I'm reaching out to this community to ask for guidance on how I might achieve this. Has anyone experienced a similar situation and could possibly share the steps required for a current project admin to transfer full project ownership, or establish me as a co-owner?

Additionally, I'm interested in learning more about managing user permissions in this context. Once I gain this level of access, what are the steps to add or remove users from the project?

I'm looking forward to your insights and thank you in advance for your time.

Best,

Dan 

1 answer

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Daniel - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There's a couple of things here:

1. To create Groups, add people to Groups (including to be Jira Admins) and add users to your Jira instance, the user needs the Site Admin permission. This can only be granted by another Site Admin.

2. However, you don't really need all of that to "Control" a project. You just need to be in the Project Administrator role for the project. An existing Project Admin could add you. Then you can control who can access the project by placing people in various Project Roles. The project roles determine the permissions the user has on the project. 

You will know when you have the project administrator role when you can see Project Settings on the bottom left menu option while on the project. 

danielgroup96 May 31, 2023

Hey @John Funk ,

Thanks for helping me out with this question! I will relay to my admin now to see if he can edit my status. 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events