How do I give vendors/external users access to only one project?

Imran Khan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 7, 2021

We have multiple projects on our Jira account but I want to give an external user access to only 1 project. How do I keep them from seeing all other projects?

3 answers

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2021

Hi @Imran Khan

This requires multiple actions/check to perform.

1. You'll need to grant the user permissions on the project (browse project/edit issues/.. what they need)
  2. You need to check what the permissions are on the other projects. This might even be more crucial than granting the user permissions. If your other projects have too much of a generic permissions scheme (any logged in user, user with application access,...) then they'll get access to all these projects by  default. Hence your best approach is to set your permissions schemes up with roles and grants users a role on a project if/when they need it.
Martin Vali March 16, 2022

Hi

How to hide team managed projects from external users but not from internal users. Giving access to private project is not an option

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2021

Hello @Imran Khan 

Welcome to the community.

Do you want to give the users access to a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

This article discusses granting access to a single Company Managed project.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/New-to-Jira-articles/How-to-give-a-user-read-only-access-to-a-single-project-and/ba-p/1010143

Note that this article does not cover granting access to only one Team Managed project.

Also note that the permissions to view Company Managed vs. Team Managed projects is managed differently. So if you have both types of projects in your instance, you have to consider the type of the project you want the users to be able to see and also how to hide the other types of projects from the users.

0 votes
Narendra Kumar September 7, 2021

Hi @Imran Khan  you just need to go to "People" section of the project to provide the access. I hope the external user is already having the Jira access. 

Steps will be - 

1. Open Project Setting. 

2. Go to "Prople" section. 

3. Enter the email and provide appropriate role.

You can refer https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/add-users-to-your-project/ for same. 

Let me know how it works fro you. Thanks!

Best, 
Narendra

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events