How do I get the EPIC progress bar to reflect the status of my complete stories in the Kanban board?

Nicholas Marsh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 17, 2018

We are running with Kanban, and have a bunch of epics set up in our backlog, all with sets of stories. As the stories are completed I expected the EPIC progress to update... but sadly not! The progress bar in the EPIC panel in the Kanban backlog screen stays grey regardless of the number of stories completed.

I have also added the Story Point field to the epic and stories... thinking this would solve the problem, but still no update to the epic progress. Do I need to enable something, or does this simply not work in a Kanban board?

3 answers

5 votes
Tyler Quillen June 25, 2018

You need to confirm how the estimation tab is configured for your board. 

Go to your board's configuration, select estimation on the left, and set the estimation statistic to the appropriate setting. For most projects Story Points or Issue Count will be the correct choice.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-estimation-and-tracking-764478030.html

Kristi Sychak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 17, 2020

This helped me a lot! Thank you!

0 votes
Paulo Ávila
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 10, 2019

Confirmed that the "Estimation" tab in the board settings is only present for Sprint boards :-(

I don't understand why though, since if I want to show the progress of an Epic based on Issue Count (Done), it shouldn't matter the type of board.

Luka Napotnik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 6, 2019

I have the same problem. I have a kanban board but I can see epic progress for issues from scrum projects but this doesn't work if I create an epic (on my kanban board) and then link issues from another kanban project to mine.

Abdelhalim ELKHATTABI December 21, 2019

@Paulo Ávila  , it works with me in the Kanban Board too ( see attached)

But I think that the differences here are the environments , its exit on cloud but not on server version !progress of epic.png

0 votes
Brian Maloney May 7, 2018

Hi Nicholas,

I have this same issue. Except I know it to work on Kanban boards as I'm using the same thing with another team. I'm curious, does the filter used for your Kanban board include multiple projects? Mine does and am beginning to think there's a bug due to the multiple projects I have in my query. 

Brian Maloney May 7, 2018

Ok. I've double checked and I'm not so sure that my other board is Kanabn board or Sprint board. 

Brian Maloney May 8, 2018

I've created a new board with the same filter as my Kanban board but as a sprint board and the epic progress bars function as expected. 

Suggest an answer