How do I get a parent issue to include hours estimates from child JIRAs?

Manu Bhardwaj November 28, 2019

We are using the JIRA setup as -

• Epic
    • Stories
      • Tasks

During planning, PMs enters the "Original Estimate" in stories. These stories are broken down into tasks by the developer and they enter the time spend via "Time Tracking" 

However, the time entered by the developers via "Time Tracking" fails to roll up to the stories resulting in blank time spend for the stories.

We were expecting to see time spend in the tasks associated with the stories to sum up and show as time spends for the story and all stories within the epic show the time spend for the whole epic, post rolling up.

Is there a way how we can achieve this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Hi @Manu Bhardwaj , @Leonard Chew ,

This is possible from Sub-task > Parent Task / Story level. When you've added the original estimates in at sub-task level, go up to the Story and in time tracking there is a checkbox to "include sub-tasks" estimates / time remaining.

You're right though there isn't an option to roll this up further. See a suggestion for this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-8726

An alternative on Cloud is an app such as Epic Sum Summary.

Ste

Manu Bhardwaj December 9, 2019
Tahir Mehmood February 16, 2022

I need Jquery for dashboard. If you have please share 

1 vote
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2019

I had the same problem. To me its a missing feature.

Out of the box it is not possible to do that.

I Solved it with by using the Scriptrunner add-on by adding a script, which basicly listens on "Work Logged".

The script sums the worklog (and conditionally also the remaining estimate) up the hierarchy (to epics and further up, if hierarchy links are set) and writes it in the parent issues.

We are using jira-server however, so there might be some differences.

Manu Bhardwaj November 29, 2019

Thanks for the help !!

Looking into Scriptrunner

iva_skrinjarik March 10, 2020

Could someone share with me the script for this?

Like Clayborn likes this
vijayx.shanmugam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 5, 2021

Could someone share with me the script for this?

Like Clayborn likes this
Fanny Tegström
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 29, 2021

Would also love to have the script for this?

Like Clayborn likes this
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2021

I see there is some interest in the script.
As stated, the script is only for server and it has other functions and options packed inside. Thats why I have not posted it here (because its overloaded).

I'll have to rewrite the script and will write an article on it. I'll link the article here.

Like # people like this
Tahir Mehmood February 16, 2022

I need Jquery for dashboard. If you have please share 

Suggest an answer