How do I get a parent issue to include hours estimates from the sub tasks?

How do I get a parent issue to include hours estimates from the sub tasks? May parent task has 0 hours but the subtasks have original hours estimates. The parent issue should reflect the hours of the subtasks.

3 answers

Not sure if this has been resolved already but I am running into the same issue.  I have the ff.

- 1 Story with blank estimate

- 2 subtasks underneath with 1 day each

- When I check Version Report, the Story still reflects as unestimated

I was expecting the subtasks are rolled up to the parent which means the parent story is actually estimated.  When both subtasks are closed with 0d left, it should reflect in Version Report (which is not happening).  Is there a way to use the ∑ Original Estimate when creating Version Report?

the same situation

in Backlog view the estimation of subtasks is not included to parent task estimation and total number of hours in sprint - as a result unable to plan sprint based on this number (subtasks not included)

Burndown report does not include subtasks estimate

http://prntscr.com/gyd9co

Questions:

1) how to include subtasks estimate to total parent task estimate so it' counted in Backlog view?

2) how to include subtasks estimate to Burndown report?

Same here. Is there anybody from atlassian helping on this issue?

Hi Kristi, go to the Time Tracking section of your parent issue and check the box for "Include sub-tasks".

This will aggregate all estimates and logged work from sub-tasks to your parent issue.

I checked the "include sub-tasks" but the hours estimate still shows as blank when planning a sprint as well as the version report. I have my hours estimates in Original Hours Estimate. Should I have it some where else?

That functionality exists as part of the base Time Tracking. I'm unable to paste in a screenshot, but it shows under the three bars (Original Estimate, Logged, Remaining Estimate). I'm not aware of a specific configuration for it. The latest documentation can be found here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Time+Tracking#ConfiguringTimeTracking-ConfiguringTimeTrackingSettings

Can you provide any other details that may help?

I want to see the cumulative hours on the parent ticket in the issues list in Plan mode. Currently I only see hours associated with issues that have been specifically assigned an estimate so a parent issue with subtasks will not display an hours estimate when viewing the list.

I´m in the same situation...Is there any solution to this issue?

is this resolved? If so can someone post a screenshot where we do this?

It has never been a problem in plain Jira (Different story if you're using estimates in Software)

All parent issues have a panel where you can toggle the timetracking view between "this issue only" and "this issue and all its subtasks"

Since Jira 3.something, you've been able to use Σ fields in the issue navigator to display the sums in columns too.

in issues > all issues i can see this.

How can i view this in the backlog? My subtasks times are not updated within the parent

Ah, now you've run into the problems with sub-tasks in Jira Software.  Atlassian are sticking to the way Scrum is done, where estimates on sub-tasks are irrelevant to the backlog and burn-down, and there's no roll-up to parents.

Hey Kristi, check out this question from a while back: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/28328/jira-and-sub-tasksI believe the discussion in the comments will help clarify things.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,243 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you