How do I find out who changed permissions on a Confluence Cloud space?

Nancy Wilson December 1, 2022

Someone removed anonymous view access from our customer-facing documentation.  Does Jira log this kind of activity?  Nothing is obvious to me (Site Admin) when searching the System  Audit Log.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Hi Nancy --

That should be in the Confluence Audit Log. There's details on how to get to it here:

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/view-the-audit-log/

Nancy Wilson December 5, 2022

Hi,

Thanks, yes, I had already reviewed the logs, but what IDs a space permission update?  What would you filter on or search for?  Filtering on permissions doesn't return the level of detail required to see who updated Confluence Cloud space settings.

For example:

OPERATION DETAILS:

Date:
01/Dec/22 10:00 AM (GMT+5) Asia/Kolkata
IP:
Type:
Application access
Permission:

The change I'm trying to track down involved disabling anonymous access to our public documentation space.

A search on `anonymous` returned: 

`GlobalCustomerAccessSettings{globalCustomerAccessPermission=INVITE_ONLY, anonymousAccessEnabled=false}`

but that should have affected Jira Service Desk access only, right? Disabling anonymous access to a space that formerly had it enabled would require an explicit action AFAIK.  Other open spaces weren't affected.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Nancy Wilson - so I'm assuming your customer-facing documentation is in Confluence. Would that be correct?

What you included looks like it's from Jira audit logs, not Confluence.

Here's what a link to the logs in Confluence looks like: https://YOURSITE.atlassian.net/wiki/admin/auditlogging.action

And here's what it looked like in my logs when I ADDED anonymous access to one of my Confluence spaces:

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 8.53.13 PM.png

So you ought to be able to find something similar for Removal of that permission in your Confluence logs. Let us know!

Like Nancy Wilson likes this
Nancy Wilson December 8, 2022

Ah, you're right!  Thanks for the correction.  Found it :-)

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Glad you found it! Would you mind please clicking the [Accept Answer] button up at the top of this  page? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events