How do I find my custom fields when creating an issue ?

tom.francis June 24, 2021

Hello. 

I am trying to create some specific custom field for a project that I'm working on in Jira software. I have managed to create these custom field by: 

1. Going to Jira Administration > Issues.

2. Select Custom Fields from the menu in the Fields section.

3. Clicking Add custom field and inserting the relevant information

However, when I try and create a new issue or edit a current issue I do not get the option to include these new fields I have created. 

Has anyone got any ideas to help me out? 

Thank you in advance.  

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

You need to associate these fields with your project via the field configuration. Go to project settings/fields. This assumes you are using a CMP type project and not TMP. If you are using TMP then you don’t add fields in the manner that you specified you had them directly within the project.

tom.francis June 24, 2021

Thanks for the comment, Jack. 

I didn't realize that using CMP or TMP would affect this. I am playing around with both CMP and TMP so your advice is helpful. 

Could you provide any more details on how I would about integrating my custom field when creating an issue with TMP? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

You might find this useful - available-custom-fields-for-team-managed-projects 

0 votes
Paula Hidalgo June 25, 2021

A very helpful mechanism under the ... menu exists on every issue for the Jira Administrator.  With the issue open, choose the "Find your field" option from the ... list.  You type your field name and it gives all the passed and the failed conditions.  The admin-related pass/fail conditions are 1) Project and issue type scope, 2) Field configuration, 3) Field value, and 4) Field Screen.  This is the quickest way to discover which configuration must be adjusted.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events