How do I filter on all issues that are on the board of a project in advanced filters?

Alexander Wegener June 30, 2019

In advanced filters, one of the criteria I want to use is whether an issue is on the board or in the backlog. How do I do that?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2019

Hi @Alexander Wegener 

+1 for @Ilya Turov 's answer if you are using a Scrum board. If you're using Kanban you would need another way.

Could you base the query on the status? Certainly for Kanban, you may well have a status that is reserved for the backog (often called Backlog). If you go to Board settings and choose Columns, you can see which statuses appear on the Active board and which don't

Alexander Wegener July 1, 2019

We are using a Kanban board. Where do I find the board settings?

The status available in the filter are "Done" "In Progress" "To Do"

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2019

You don't mention whether you're using cloud or server Jira, but I think both are similar (I have cloud, so my description is based on that).

You will need to be an Admin of the project. Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and Board settings is the first option.

Screenshot_7.jpg

You can see from the screenshot below that we have an explicit status for the Backlog - if you don't, this would probably not work. You could create another status and make it the "backlog" one

Screenshot_9.jpg

If I am on the board and I click the 3 dots, this is what I get.

This is a next-gen project - might this be the problem?

ScreenShot 898 OT board - Agile board - JIRA - Google Chrome.png

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2019

Hi @Alexander Wegener 

Yes, that's the issue. Next-gen Kanban boards don't seem to be able to differentiate between items in the backlog and those on the board. I can't see any way around this, unless if you create a new field which you manually set as something goes on the board (which is far from ideal)

Like # people like this

Thank you! At least now I know.

1 vote
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2019

I guess, if issue is still in the backlog, it's not in any sprint, so looking for something like "sprint is EMPTY" might be a start. 

There are also functions like "sprint in openSprints()", "sprint in futureSprints()" or "sprint in closedSprints()"

For more discussion on it you can look at some past topics.

Suggest an answer